A few Amphora sampler pack notes

Fr_Tom
Chaplain

In the fullness of time, I will write proper reviews on TR for these. I thought I might just offer a few of my observations here first.

Amphora Burley Blend - This is good. It is slightly less edgy than Pegasus. There is some cocoa in the casing.
Amphora Virginia Blend - This is excellent. It is mellow and slightly sweet. I am not getting any topping, and it has a little more body than you might expect in a pouch Virginia of this sort.
Amphora English Blend - This is very good. It is not in-your-face with the latakia. There is a little spice from the Orientals. it is pleasantly complex without being challenging.
Amphora Kentucky Blend - This one is good. It is maybe best compared to ODF. It is a little less sweet and has less body. I get a little more spice when puffed.
Amphora Black Cavendish - This one is good. By way of disclaimer, I am not the fan of black cavendish as a rule. This one is a little thin, but it is pleasant and tastes like tobacco. Toppings are licorice and some fruit.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
JTWilliams
Member in Very Good Standing

Fr_Tom wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:16 pm In the fullness of time, I will write proper reviews on TR for these. I thought I might just offer a few of my observations here first.

Amphora Burley Blend - This is good. It is slightly less edgy than Pegasus. There is some cocoa in the casing.
Amphora Virginia Blend - This is excellent. It is mellow and slightly sweet. I am not getting any topping, and it has a little more body than you might expect in a pouch Virginia of this sort.
Amphora English Blend - This is very good. It is not in-your-face with the latakia. There is a little spice from the Orientals. it is pleasantly complex without being challenging.
Amphora Kentucky Blend - This one is good. It is maybe best compared to ODF. It is a little less sweet and has less body. I get a little more spice when puffed.
Amphora Black Cavendish - This one is good. By way of disclaimer, I am not the fan of black cavendish as a rule. This one is a little thin, but it is pleasant and tastes like tobacco. Toppings are licorice and some fruit.
Haven't tried any of these. Noting them all in the tobacco log now. Thanks, Padre!
"Yeah, well, y'know, that's just like, uh, your opinion, man."
-The Big Lebowski
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

JTWilliams wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:22 pm
Fr_Tom wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:16 pm In the fullness of time, I will write proper reviews on TR for these. I thought I might just offer a few of my observations here first.

Haven't tried any of these. Noting them all in the tobacco log now. Thanks, Padre!
As additional data points, in terms of strength, I would rate them

Amphora Burley Blend - Mild->Medium
Amphora Virginia Blend - Mild->Medium
Amphora English Blend - Mild->Medium
Amphora Kentucky Blend - Solid Medium - maybe Medium->Strong
Amphora Black Cavendish - Mild

Old Ted Award - 2017
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Sold...gonna order a pouch of Virginia. 👍
The Troll Whisperer
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

The Kentucky and Virginia sounds right up my alley
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

I totally get the Cavendish as " thin " . its very Danish in its character , thin and the topping also being quite Danish . Those Danish topping are " clean " tasting without muddle . im hit or miss with those types . That one was ok for me but the brightness of the flavor ( or high notes ) need a fuller backdrop for my tastes .

Do you think the regular burley is as flavorful as the brown lable was back in the day or thinner . I thought it was thinner but im not sure if its the difference of the blends or me getting more jaded over time
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Whalehead King

From a review I read recently:

"Back in the US of A.

"Amphora Original has been enjoyed by pipe enthusiasts around the world for decades. Except in America, where no one can ever find it. For some reason, it’s been impossible to keep this thing on the US market. Now though, Amphora Original is back, and touring across America like a well-loved classic rock band. And believe me, this is a show you’re going to want tickets for.

"The blend here has a lot going on. We’ve got earthy Burley tobaccos, sweet, fruity Virginias, a dark black Cavendish, and smoky, spicy dark-fired Kentucky and Turkish leaves. There is a very slight cocoa note added to the top, but it is light enough that this one is still considered a non-aromatic. Lighting the bowl, I’m greeted with a warm mixture of chocolate and cashews, and as the pipe burns down more grass and leather notes come through. It’s a subtle, easy-going blend that you can enjoy any time of day. Check out Amphora Original, and you’ll understand why this tobacco has lasted the test of time."

I'm putting black Cavendish in my next order. I like licorice tobacco.
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Ruffinogold wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:29 am I totally get the Cavendish as " thin " . its very Danish in its character , thin and the topping also being quite Danish . Those Danish topping are " clean " tasting without muddle . im hit or miss with those types . That one was ok for me but the brightness of the flavor ( or high notes ) need a fuller backdrop for my tastes .

Do you think the regular burley is as flavorful as the brown lable was back in the day or thinner . I thought it was thinner but im not sure if its the difference of the blends or me getting more jaded over time
The Amphora Brown back in the day was a mouthful, and my recollection is the cocoa casing really came through. The Burley Blend is good. It is a slightly upscale version of something like Pegasus. It is not an Amphora Brown.

Old Ted Award - 2017