A Note on Tobacco Reviews

sisyphus
Person of Interest

Conventional wisdom says you need to smoke at least two ounces of a tobacco before writing anything about it. While I think there is some merit to that because your opinion changes as you've smoked something over and over again, I also disagree.

I find that with tobacco and cigars both, your palate is never more analytical than when it is unfamiliar with something. You tend to tune out nuances with repeated exposure. The flipside of this is I've been stuck with boxes of cigars I didn't love because I was chasing flavor notes I got from the first couple sticks that I never encountered again. I think pipe tobacco is more consistent and tends to be repeatable under ideal conditions.
I hope our names are touching on the watch list
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Imho , I think making thinking aloud notes during the first few bowls is fine . A true review should really be done when you know a blend front, back and sideways ... or maybe not , lol , because there's always those folks that say everything is subjective any Way
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
kb7get
Founding Member

Why I don't do reviews. To me a smoke is either OK, Meh, I can smoke it or Yuck. That covers all the bases of what I have tried so far.
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

kb7get wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:13 pm Why I don't do reviews. To me a smoke is either OK, Meh, I can smoke it or Yuck. That covers all the bases of what I have tried so far.
Agreed . If someone has similar likes and says is great , good or crap .. I pay attention . The last thing I'd want to listen to is some latakia bomb lover who hates aromatics give an aromatic review , as an example :)
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Bamarick

kb7get wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:13 pm Why I don't do reviews. To me a smoke is either OK, Meh, I can smoke it or Yuck. That covers all the bases of what I have tried so far.
You sound like me. I tell folks that I know good from bad.
American by birth, Southern by the grace of God!

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!
Middle Earth

I have very much enjoyed tobacco reviews
I find it useful
For example, it led me to Tudor Castle which is as good as it get for me
I have not put up any reviews
Love to see Father Tom's reviews
There are about seven reviewers that I look for
Since I am unable to tolerate heavy N blends, I look for guidance
For me, a great resource
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

I have always enjoyed the reviews, but I know mine are a lot more basic than some. I don't get the things others do sometimes, but I try to give an accurate description. In terms of the strength, I am always trying to think where it rates compared to other blends I smoke. If I say something is med->strong, it is in the same range as OJK for example.

I am still working on the Amphora sampler and the C&D Burley Flake #5 I got for my birthday, so I will have some fresh ones posted in the next week or so.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Tsal
Forum Decorum

I like reading reviews from the people I feel I can trust. The others I scratch my head, "Olive Oil!?", I mean c'mon really? Then there's the whole "earth" thing, like what's that supposed to mean? It tastes like dirt?
The Troll Whisperer
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Bruyere_Royale wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:03 pm I like reading reviews from the people I feel I can trust. The others I scratch my head, "Olive Oil!?", I mean c'mon really? Then there's the whole "earth" thing, like what's that supposed to mean? It tastes like dirt?
Earthy to me means tastes like dirt smells. At least.. I hope someone wasn't munching dirt to try and see if things tasted like it. I am guessing Oregon dirt tastes a little different from the clay soil of say Texas.. so that could really confuse folks going out in the yard to see if that thing they were tasting in tobacco was "earth". Dirt munching wouldn't surprise me though.. nothing really does anymore.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Tsal
Forum Decorum

houtenziel wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:21 pm
Bruyere_Royale wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:03 pm I like reading reviews from the people I feel I can trust. The others I scratch my head, "Olive Oil!?", I mean c'mon really? Then there's the whole "earth" thing, like what's that supposed to mean? It tastes like dirt?
Earthy to me means tastes like dirt smells. At least.. I hope someone wasn't munching dirt to try and see if things tasted like it. I am guessing Oregon dirt tastes a little different from the clay soil of say Texas.. so that could really confuse folks going out in the yard to see if that thing they were tasting in tobacco was "earth". Dirt munching wouldn't surprise me though.. nothing really does anymore.
It's too vague of a word to describe tobacco especially if your getting into geographic's. It's a tuff one, at least for me.
The Troll Whisperer