Drew Estate "Harvest on Hudson"

Whalehead King

This is supposed to be apple-flavored. It's not apple-y enough. It's no Middleton's Apple by a long shot, not even close.

When the tin is closed for a long time and I open it, I catch a passing whiff of apple in the air, but it soon disappears. Smoking this, it's just regular tobacco.

Based on my experience with Acid and Kuba Kuba, and some of his other cigars, I was expecting a snootful. Nope. It's just regular tobacco. It's not that great. YMMV. What do they charge for this empty promise?

When this tin is done, I won't be buying another. In fact, when I get close to being done, I'm going to toss the remnants into my "mixing box" of odds and ends from tins that don't merit finishing. It won't add anything to the mix. This 'Harvest on Hudson' is nothing to write about so I'm going to stop now before I belabor the point too much that I am unimpressed.
Ellis You
Member in Good Standing

Whalehead King wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:40 pm This is supposed to be apple-flavored. It's not apple-y enough. It's no Middleton's Apple by a long shot, not even close.

When the tin is closed for a long time and I open it, I catch a passing whiff of apple in the air, but it soon disappears. Smoking this, it's just regular tobacco.

Based on my experience with Acid and Kuba Kuba, and some of his other cigars, I was expecting a snootful. Nope. It's just regular tobacco. It's not that great. YMMV. What do they charge for this empty promise?

When this tin is done, I won't be buying another. In fact, when I get close to being done, I'm going to toss the remnants into my "mixing box" of odds and ends from tins that don't merit finishing. It won't add anything to the mix. This 'Harvest on Hudson' is nothing to write about so I'm going to stop now before I belabor the point too much that I am unimpressed.
Good thing you don't want another tin, Drew Estates pipe tobaccos have all been discontinued.

I remember having a sampler of all their tins several years ago. A couple of them were pretty decent, others were just as you described. Gatsby Flake and Meat Pie were the best of the bunch, IMHO.

Drew Estates cigars are all over the map. They have some that I just don't care to smoke and some that are pretty darn good. Tabak Especial are pretty good for coffee flavored smokes. I'm not sure what to think with the Acid series. Their un-infused lines can be pretty good.

I only had 1 pouch of Middleton's Apple, and enjoyed it somewhat. I recall it as a burley forward blend with a very mild hint of apple, kinda like their Cherry Blend.
Whalehead King

Ellis You wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:04 pm
I only had 1 pouch of Middleton's Apple, and enjoyed it somewhat. I recall it as a burley forward blend with a very mild hint of apple, kinda like their Cherry Blend.
Well, Middleton's was old-school American, burley forward, Mostly burley with a little bit Virginia mixed in. Bur/Va? Va/Bur? How come we don't say that?

You're on the nose with the palette note of these. Middleton Apple was no Panama Jack Apple, but you knew it was apple, the way you knew the Cherry was cherry without them hitting you in the noggin with it. You could tell the difference.

Smoking this Drew Estate Apple is like smoking any other nondescript tobacco out of a tin. Maybe it's me.

I'm not complaining. I think I got this tin from you in the box pass. It's okay. I just can't recommend it in good conscience. As I write this, I am smoking a bowl of Harvest on Hudson in a brylon pipe. It doesn't matter what pipes it's in. This is the fifth pipe I've tried it in and it's a no-go for me.
Whalehead King

Drew Estate Harvest on the Hudson:

It's more like Pew Estate.

I'm not saying that this blend stinks. I'm saying that it pretends to be something that it's not: something nobody with a nose for aroma and flavor would want. It's fine but don't pretend it's all apple-flavored like an orchard in a Washington Irving story. This blend rises to the level of being okay and not worth the price. 'nuff said. YMMV.