Match Sugar Barrel-P&C

CoreyR
Founding Member

The other day I purchased three of the "match" blends, for some of the old standbys which I never got to try. I got the match for Sugar Barrel, Kentucky, and Walnut Blend.
Thus far I have tried Sugar Barrel and below is the review I left on TR.

Let me start by saying that I have never had the original so I have no comparison there. Upon opening the pouch I detected a faint, almost "nougat" fragrance mixed with something a big tangier. That could have been the cinnamon.
It packed easy and well in the African block meerschaum I was using for tasting. One light and I was off and running. At first I thought this to be a "bitey" tobacco, like my big headed rescue dog. but, like Big Head, it seems a bit misunderstood. The cinnamon seems to give it a bit of a tang which, if puffed too hard on the lite, can be mistaken for a "bite."
There is a "sweetness" to it but it is not the "molasses" which other reviewers have commented on. I am a lover of molasses, usually with my morning sausage, and this is not it. Still, definite "sweet" and "cinnamon." Kinda like a sweet, grassy tobacco. Much better when sipped slowly,
My wife informs me that the room note is...not good. Not terrible she says but not good either. I am thinking an outdoor smoke. Something to sip while working my forge, mowing the grass or fishing. Perhaps while just sitting around the campfire.
I cannot say that I object to Match Sugar Barrel but I highly doubt that I will be buying more. There are just to many other tobaccos which I like far better. Still I can see where some would like this.
sisyphus
Person of Interest

Sweet Cask is just plain awful, don't bother
I hope our names are touching on the watch list
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

sisyphus wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:38 pm Sweet Cask is just plain awful, don't bother
I've got a bucket o' that. Just don't know what to do with it.
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
CoreyR
Founding Member

sisyphus wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:38 pm Sweet Cask is just plain awful, don't bother
It has been my experience that "matches" seldom do. Sometimes they turn out to be a decent stand alone tobacco but rarely an actual "match" for the original. I tried a "Match Presbyterian" once. It was awful and NOTHING like the original.
I dunno why I keep trying!
CoreyR
Founding Member

MikeDennison wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:02 pm
fertilizer???
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

CoreyR wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:04 pm
It has been my experience that "matches" seldom do. Sometimes they turn out to be a decent stand alone tobacco but rarely an actual "match" for the original. I tried a "Match Presbyterian" once. It was awful and NOTHING like the original.
I dunno why I keep trying!
I didn't mind Match Presbyterian, but then I've never had the real thing. :D
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

CoreyR wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:04 pm
fertilizer???
:lol:
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Kevin Keith wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:06 pm
This GIF turns my stomach.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Citizen B wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:20 pm
Kevin Keith wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:06 pm
This GIF turns my stomach.
Patrick's stomach makes the gif. : )
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!