Not Liking The New Tobacco Reviews Site...As Much

Ruffinogold
The Mayor

We should start our own somehow
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

I was on TR maybe three years ago, maybe a little longer. I must have been desperate then. I don't know what I learned from it besides a lot of blah, blah, blah. I'm not going to check out the new site right now because I know I'll probably never going to visit it to find information. I'll take your word for it. It's not as great as it was before.

As for this idea:
Ruffinogold wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:45 pm We should start our own somehow
We already have, you just have to read numerous threads to find out what you need. Better a freewheeling forum of pipe smokers that know and trust each other's opinions, separate the leaf from the stems, to get an hones review instead of some blowhard, masturbatory, longwinded review that goes nowhere (like this post) to tell you nothing except that the guy liked it or didn't for reasons that don't matter to you.

I'll look at PR in a pinch but I am more comfortable asking my chums here on PSF what they think of a tobacco blend instead of reading reviews from every Tom, Dick, and hairy armpit.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Citizen B wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:56 pm I was on TR maybe three years ago, maybe a little longer. I must have been desperate then. I don't know what I learned from it besides a lot of blah, blah, blah. I'm not going to check out the new site right now because I know I'll probably never going to visit it to find information. I'll take your word for it. It's not as great as it was before.

As for this idea:
We already have, you just have to read numerous threads to find out what you need. Better a freewheeling forum of pipe smokers that know and trust each other's opinions, separate the leaf from the stems, to get an hones review instead of some blowhard, masturbatory, longwinded review that goes nowhere (like this post) to tell you nothing except that the guy liked it or didn't for reasons that don't matter to you.

I'll look at PR in a pinch but I am more comfortable asking my chums here on PSF what they think of a tobacco blend instead of reading reviews from every Tom, Dick, and hairy armpit.
I know we do . But a cool format that has an algorithm type thing ... I wouldn't know about that stuff but maybe we got a real computer nerd around here
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Ruffinogold wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:07 pm
Citizen B wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:56 pm I was on TR maybe three years ago, maybe a little longer. I must have been desperate then. I don't know what I learned from it besides a lot of blah, blah, blah. I'm not going to check out the new site right now because I know I'll probably never going to visit it to find information. I'll take your word for it. It's not as great as it was before.

As for this idea:

I know we do . But a cool format that has an algorithm type thing ... I wouldn't know about that stuff but maybe we got a real computer nerd around here
Are you trying to bother @sisyphus ?
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Citizen B wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:13 pm

As for this idea:

Nah , I dont think . I dont know , hell .. we are PSF !
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Ruffinogold wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:22 pm
Citizen B wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:13 pm

.. we are PSF !

Solid.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Riff89

I never got too fired up about TR mainly because I felt like most reviewers were just making shit up! I mean I’m the first to admit that my palate is not super sophisticated and I’d be a damn liar if I said otherwise! But... that being said I’ve read reviews where people were so damn specific in their description of a tobacco that it just sounded foolish! “There were notes of 2012 Chianti” “it had the mouthfeel of organic oat milk” there were a couple guys whose reviews I would read one of whom is here on this forum I realized his tastes were similar to mine and I could understand what he was talking about. Anyway yeah I’m rambling
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Riff89 wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:09 pm I never got too fired up about TR mainly because I felt like most reviewers were just making shit up! I mean I’m the first to admit that my palate is not super sophisticated and I’d be a damn liar if I said otherwise! But... that being said I’ve read reviews where people were so damn specific in their description of a tobacco that it just sounded foolish! “There were notes of 2012 Chianti” “it had the mouthfeel of organic oat milk” there were a couple guys whose reviews I would read one of whom is here on this forum I realized his tastes were similar to mine and I could understand what he was talking about. Anyway yeah I’m rambling
I get it . I mean , how bout this type crap ...

Burley = Woody
Virginia = Hay , citrus
Lat = smokey ... etc

with just those three you could make up a review for damn near anything , which I wrote aboput one time at the old psf ... I thought it was funny

Maybe if there were some kind of rules / parameters ? I dont know but Im getting a thing in my head and I know down deep in there in makes sense but I just cant reach it
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Riff89 wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:09 pm I never got too fired up about TR mainly because I felt like most reviewers were just making shit up! I mean I’m the first to admit that my palate is not super sophisticated and I’d be a damn liar if I said otherwise! But... that being said I’ve read reviews where people were so damn specific in their description of a tobacco that it just sounded foolish! “There were notes of 2012 Chianti” “it had the mouthfeel of organic oat milk” there were a couple guys whose reviews I would read one of whom is here on this forum I realized his tastes were similar to mine and I could understand what he was talking about. Anyway yeah I’m rambling
[/quote ]

God bless America .. have you ever read the descriptions on GL Pease stuff ,.. LOL ! That one that said it had the souls of Poets !!! I so dislike bougie bullshit descriptions
Lostdog5152
Member in Good Standing

Sadly, most people on TR just don't have a clue how to do a tobacco review. I'm not knocking them as I don't know how myself. Example of my ineptitude: Samuel Gawith Coniston Cut Plug and 1792 Flake. They have tonquin bean. I like tonquin bean. What does tonquin bean taste like? Like some kind of Frankenstein vanilla. What does that tell you? Absolutely nothing unless your wife bakes tonquin bean cakes or you own a tonquin bean farm. I especially get a kick out of those puffers who take a whiff of their selected weed and are "transported" to some exotic port of call. What does that taste like? Do I need my passport? If my pipe goes out am I stranded there? There are some excellent reviews on TR but they are mostly lost in an ocean of bull****.