Becks Ol' Limey Bastard (I think)

Legion

After my exposure to Latakia, I'm a bit wary of ordering anything with Perique.

Are there any similarities between the two?
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Perique is another spice tobacco. it is quirky because it presents in different ways depending on the blend and the person. Sometimes in the same blend, I can get both plum/raisin when sipped and peppery when puffed. I routinely smoke a few things with latakia. Some of them just have condimental amounts like Epiphany. Others like Morley's Best are a little more latakia forward. I don't typically smoke the latakia bombs.

In terms of perique, I find it suits my palate. It is a flavor that works very well with a Virginia for many. It tends to beef up the nicotine, and for someone who is nicotine sensitive, that probably would not push a Virginia over the edge. I like OJK and Picayune, and they are on the beefy end of the perique blend spectrum and the perique is applied with a heavy hand by the blender. For nice taste of what it can do for a primarily Virginia blend, there is OGS and LNF.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Legion

Bo'LB really does stink bad, but, it didn't taste anything like it smells.
I've been reading that many smokers, like Rev.Tom, like mild English blends but don't like Lat-bombs. Many say it's an acquired taste.This got me thinking. Tobacco is so expensive here (Another tax increase has raised a 50g tin to $88) that I'd hate to waste any.

Taking a small amount of the stinky stuff, I mixed it 50/50 with Windsail virginia & added a pinch of perique from a small sample. Although it was still stinky, I quite enjoyed smoking a small bowl in my new Prince Rhodesian.
So I mixed the entire bag of Bo'LB (About an ounce & a half) 50/50 with the virginia & then added the small sample of perique (about half an ounce)

Although I couldn't smoke two bowls one after the other, one bowl before bed was quite pleasant. Then I found myself wanting it more often. When it got down to an ounce, I mixed in a little more virginia just to stretch it out.
Now that I'm down to about half an ounce, I'm going to actually miss it when it's gone.

Thinking that I might just have to buy a tin occasionally, I asked my local tobacconist if he could order in a mild English blend like Squadron Leader. Not only had he never heard of latakia nor English blends, a look at his ordering forms showed that there's none available.

It sure sucks being a pipe smoker here.
Longshanks
Member in Good Standing

I had a similar experience with McClelland Brittish Woods. It smelled like a smokey ketchup when I opened the tin. It took a couple of bowls to understand it but I did smoke most of the tin, especially when I was in the mood for a campfire smokey flavor to remind me of camping out.

I don't hate it, and I probably still have three or four bowls of it left that I will eventually smoke, but I reserve my cobs for this flavor as I don't want it ghosting any of my briar pipes. 8-)
Longshanks
"He who shall, so shall he... wait, who?" :?
racinghoss

Personally, I love latakia. But, I know where you're coming from because I don't really love VaPers. I am smoking Comoy's Cask #4 right now. I've had the tin for a couple years, and I'm less than half through it. I try it again, now and then, to see if my taste has changed. Tried pairing it with coffee (nope), iced tea (ok), and tonight it's bourbon (better than ok). It seems better tonight than in the past.

Moral of the story is...hell, I don't know.

I do know that I really like the new Three Nuns, which is devoid of perique. So maybe that's what I don't like...maybe....since this bowl is going alright.

It's late. Oof.
Longshanks
Member in Good Standing

Legion wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:54 pm
houtenziel wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:40 am
Legion wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:58 am Excitedly opening my gift, I was assaulted with a smell reminiscent of asphalt, burnt tyres & butt. Disgusting.
I am always amused to hear how people describe Latakia at first taste.
The day when I start to enjoy the smell of asphalt, burning tyres & butt, is the day that I'm ready to meet my Maker, lol.
Or the day you're ready to become a NASCAR driver. 8-)
Longshanks
"He who shall, so shall he... wait, who?" :?
Islayphile
Member in Good Standing

JBRiner wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:49 am Mmm...Pirate Kake and Lagavulin 16...that is a match made in heaven...a Smokey heaven. Although, every time I have that combo, my wife will not come within 20ft of me untul I have showered, brushed my teeth and disposed of my smoking clothes.
Same here....Lagavulin 16 :P

When I’m airing out PK or Old Ironsides, she asks if I’m really going to smoke that horse manure again.