Becks Ol' Limey Bastard (I think)

Legion

Two packages arrived today with my new pipes & some tobacco.

The lovely people at 4noggins included a sample that was marked 'Becks'. As they only sell OLB, I assume that's it.

Excitedly opening my gift, I was assaulted with a smell reminiscent of asphalt, burnt tyres & butt. Disgusting.
I did venture a few puffs in my new MM Diplomat but became concerned that I might ruin the pipe. It did taste a lot better than the smell but by Jimminy, what a foul tobacco.
Reviewers actually rate this vile concoction at an average 3.5.
I'd be mortified had I spent good money on this.
Legion

With a bit of help from Rev Tom, it looks like the problem with this tobacco is that latakias are definitely not to my taste.

Thank goodness that I discovered this from a sample rather than a 16oz purchase.

If there's anyone in Aus. who likes latakias, send me a PM & I'll post the ounce baggie to you.
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Legion wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:58 am Excitedly opening my gift, I was assaulted with a smell reminiscent of asphalt, burnt tyres & butt. Disgusting.
I am always amused to hear how people describe Latakia at first taste. This description was particularly hilarious, and I don't necessarily disagree with any of the three descriptors. I will say this though, it does tend to grow on you.. but the key for the uninitiated is usually to start very slow with blends where Latakia is used strictly as a condiment and not the main event. Even then though, you might be like me in that I can only handle very small amounts very occasionally.
You probably won't ever see me puffing on a bowl of Pirate Kake with a glass of Lagavulin 16 in my hand. :D
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
JBRiner

Mmm...Pirate Kake and Lagavulin 16...that is a match made in heaven...a Smokey heaven. Although, every time I have that combo, my wife will not come within 20ft of me untul I have showered, brushed my teeth and disposed of my smoking clothes.
Adwyth
Legion

houtenziel wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:40 am
Legion wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:58 am Excitedly opening my gift, I was assaulted with a smell reminiscent of asphalt, burnt tyres & butt. Disgusting.
I am always amused to hear how people describe Latakia at first taste.
The taste wasn't too bad actually. It's the smell.

It's fairly safe to say that Latakia will never be given the chance to grow on me.
Aroma is the first step, for me at least, in appreciating a fine tobacco. Even as a kid, I loved smelling my grandfathers pouches of RYO baccy, especially when fresh.

The day when I start to enjoy the smell of asphalt, burning tyres & butt, is the day that I'm ready to meet my Maker, lol.
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

This might sound weird, but I actually have a really hard time smelling the tobacco I am smoking. If someone else is smoking something while I am, I can smell their room note, but mine is completely absent.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

houtenziel wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:45 pm This might sound weird, but I actually have a really hard time smelling the tobacco I am smoking. If someone else is smoking something while I am, I can smell their room note, but mine is completely absent.
I frequently catch my own room note at the office. I have to leave to go do something and put the pipe down. When I go back in, I can see what it smells like smoked.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Legion

JBRiner wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:49 am Although, every time I have that combo, my wife will not come within 20ft of me untul I have showered, brushed my teeth and disposed of my smoking clothes.
After what I experienced I fully sympathise with her. You're fortunate that she allows you back in the house, lol.
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

My wife likes the room note of latakia blends enough that she will get me something from the bulk options if she sees a tobacco shop. When we lived in TN, there was a shop that had something called #10 Downing, and I would get a few oz of that from time to time.

One of my daughters is also a fan, but she prefers a Balkan, and really likes the smell of latakia + Orientals. There is an incense-like quality she will notice.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Fr_Tom wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:09 am My wife likes the room note of latakia blends enough that she will get me something from the bulk options if she sees a tobacco shop. When we lived in TN, there was a shop that had something called #10 Downing, and I would get a few oz of that from time to time.

One of my daughters is also a fan, but she prefers a Balkan, and really likes the smell of latakia + Orientals. There is an incense-like quality she will notice.
Mine likes the good ol' codger burley smell but she never buys me anything. She did buy me a pipe in 1985 but that one was the alpha and omega.
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!