Chantham Manor question

harkpuff

I've read that Hearth and Home Chantham Manor is a blend of mostly burley and some Virginia. Does anyone have any idea what percentage is Virginia?
I'm told that Burley does not benefit from aging and only the Virginia content would improve over time. However, if the percentage is so small I'm thinking it would hardly be worth it. :?:
Also, any idea who has this in stock? Everywhere I look they are out of it. And I wonder if it can be bought in less than tub quantities.
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

Doesn't Pipes & Cigars sell it bulk by the ounce? If you'd like a sample, I'll send you a coupla ounces.
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
harkpuff

MikeDennison wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:58 pm Doesn't Pipes & Cigars sell it bulk by the ounce? If you'd like a sample, I'll send you a coupla ounces.
I went to the P&C website and searched their bulk blends and did not find Chantham Manor on the list. All of their other listings for Chantham indicated that it was currently out of stock.
I sent an email to P&C and a gal from customer service replied back saying they are completely out of this item and the company that produces C.M. for P&C does not know when they will have more available. She said a lot of factors will determine when a tobacco is finally ready to put on the shelves.

Thanks Mike! I appreciate your offer to send me some, but a couple of ounces out of your personal stock would put quite a dent in your tub. I like burley blends like Carter Hall, but I have not yet tried Chantham Manor and only need a couple of bowls to determine if I am going to like it or not. I wish places like P&C would offer small samples for folks to try. Since Chantham seems to only be available in their 14oz tubs it is a lot of tobacco to buy in the event a person did not like it.
If you want to mess with sending a couple of bowls that would be wonderful. I'm just getting back into pipe smoking so I have no cellar to reciprocate from. The only thing I have at the moment is some Carter Hall.
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

harkpuff wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:17 pm
MikeDennison wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:58 pm Doesn't Pipes & Cigars sell it bulk by the ounce? If you'd like a sample, I'll send you a coupla ounces.
I went to the P&C website and searched their bulk blends and did not find Chantham Manor on the list. All of their other listings for Chantham indicated that it was currently out of stock.
I sent an email to P&C and a gal from customer service replied back saying they are completely out of this item and the company that produces C.M. for P&C does not know when they will have more available. She said a lot of factors will determine when a tobacco is finally ready to put on the shelves.

Thanks Mike! I appreciate your offer to send me some, but a couple of ounces out of your personal stock would put quite a dent in your tub. I like burley blends like Carter Hall, but I have not yet tried Chantham Manor and only need a couple of bowls to determine if I am going to like it or not. I wish places like P&C would offer small samples for folks to try. Since Chantham seems to only be available in their 14oz tubs it is a lot of tobacco to buy in the event a person did not like it.
If you want to mess with sending a couple of bowls that would be wonderful. I'm just getting back into pipe smoking so I have no cellar to reciprocate from. The only thing I have at the moment is some Carter Hall.
Well, brother...how about I send you just a few bowls full? No need to worry about reciprocating...that's just what pipe guys do. Pay it forward someday.
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Maybe it was made with McClelland Virginia, and they can't get the components now?
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

It's in stock at P&C, no bulk though. I don't remember them having it in bulk, but that means nothing.
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Just to piggy back on to the conversation since it's related.. but does CM really differ that much from good ol' Carter Hall to make it worth seeking out? It's a match blend so I assume it's really pretty similar. Does it stand on it's own?
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Stands on it's own. It is no CH match to me, it's better. More cocoa and molasses, a little more vanilla, not as burley nutty. About the same liquor splash to me.
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

What Kevin said...

It is good but it is not a good match. I say try it.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
harkpuff

MikeDennison wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:28 pm
harkpuff wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:17 pm

Well, brother...how about I send you just a few bowls full? No need to worry about reciprocating...that's just what pipe guys do. Pay it forward someday.
Thanks again Mike. I will send you a Private message.