HH ODF & perique mix...ODF update

slowroll
Founding Member

Well, i tried mixing the ODF with 15 and 21 % perique by weight this time, which isn't much, considering the weight difference with the moisture level of perique. It still has a musty flavor, and doesn't give that figgy note like It does with lat blends. I'm concluding that ODF just doesn t mix well with perique, somehow incompatible. Oh well.
www.custompipestems.com ...pipestems and pipes designed and created
Johnny
Member in Good Standing

Have you tried pressing it together to help marry the flavors? Should take some time for the flavors to meld
ncrobb
Founding Member

Mixing ODF with anything other than coffee and chocolate is an abomination.

Just kidding. Good luck with your experiments.
“I’d like to ride the rodeo, but I got Brahma Fear.” - Jimmy Buffett
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

slowroll wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:17 am Well, i tried mixing the ODF with 15 and 21 % perique by weight this time, which isn't much, considering the weight difference with the moisture level of perique. It still has a musty flavor, and doesn't give that figgy note like It does with lat blends. I'm concluding that ODF just doesn t mix well with perique, somehow incompatible. Oh well.
FWIW, people have claimed in the past that burleys with a cocoa casing - think PA and others - work well with some added perique.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Murph

Are you using granulated perique? I used granulated on one last blends st the same percentage as what I used with leaf. It was way too much.
slowroll
Founding Member

Johnny wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:25 am Have you tried pressing it together to help marry the flavors? Should take some time for the flavors to meld
Yep i did, for about 10 days.
slowroll
Founding Member

Murph wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:37 pm Are you using granulated perique? I used granulated on one last blends st the same percentage as what I used with leaf. It was way too much.
Yep, I use granulated. Have also used it in other blends and it was fine.
Mikeb717

Fr_Tom wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:04 pm
slowroll wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:17 am Well, i tried mixing the ODF with 15 and 21 % perique by weight this time, which isn't much, considering the weight difference with the moisture level of perique. It still has a musty flavor, and doesn't give that figgy note like It does with lat blends. I'm concluding that ODF just doesn t mix well with perique, somehow incompatible. Oh well.
FWIW, people have claimed in the past that burleys with a cocoa casing - think PA and others - work well with some added perique.

I mix perique with PA and love it but then again I love perique with anything,have even smoked it by itself and have added it in large amounts to aros just so i could taste some tobacco :D
As stubborn as a Missouri Mule