English Hoopla, by D&R

Wooda
Founding Member

@BamaRick sent me this thinking he was punishing me. Joke's on him, because it wasn't half bad.

For those of you less inclined to listen to my woodchuck rambling, here's a slightly different text version:
Overwhelming pouch note, very definable as an English aroma. Not as acrid as burning rubber, not as sweet as sage.

Dried it to CRISPY levels with a 10 second burst in the microwave.

Tough light. Took over 30 seconds of hard stoking and direct Bic flame to get going. Easy burning from there.

One flavor throughout. No layers to dig through, if there is complexity I didn't find it.

Over smoked pork butt. Where the bark is a little too heavy on the hickory but you eat it anyways because it's barbecue dammit. Almost salty, but I'm not sure that's quite it.

Simple smoke, simple snork, no sting or bite.

A gentle English, fer sher.

Will smoke again. Would trade for. Will not spend money on, and not only because Wife would murder me for relapsing in my TAD.
Underwater Basketweaver.
Baskets of basket pipes.
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Wooda wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:33 pm @BamaRick sent me this thinking he was punishing me. Joke's on him, because it wasn't half bad.

For those of you less inclined to listen to my woodchuck rambling, here's a slightly different text version:
Overwhelming pouch note, very definable as an English aroma. Not as acrid as burning rubber, not as sweet as sage.

Tough light. Took over 30 seconds of hard stoking and direct Bic flame to get going. Easy burning from there.

One flavor throughout. No layers to dig through, if there is complexity I didn't find it.

Over smoked pork butt. Where the bark is a little too heavy on the hickory but you eat it anyways because it's barbecue dammit. Almost salty, but I'm not sure that's quite it.

Will smoke again. Would trade for. Will not spend money on, and not only because Wife would murder me for relapsing in my TAD.
Great review. When you say over smoked - does it seem like they maybe added some sort of smoke flavoring to the topping? For some reason I seem to recall reading somewhere that it had a weird topping.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Wooda
Founding Member

houtenziel wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:57 pm
Wooda wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:33 pm @BamaRick sent me this thinking he was punishing me. Joke's on him, because it wasn't half bad.

Great review. When you say over smoked - does it seem like they maybe added some sort of smoke flavoring to the topping? For some reason I seem to recall reading somewhere that it had a weird topping.
Not to say extra smoky, but more turning the corner towards sharp and acrid. The smoky meat character was just barely on this side of burnt. thanks
Underwater Basketweaver.
Baskets of basket pipes.
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Now that's a damn good over view of a blend ! I like your approach 👍
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
CoreyR
Founding Member

I picked up several D&R blends at the TAPS show in Raleigh last year. Every one that I tried left me with the unmistakable impression of cigarette tobacco with a sprayed on, chemical topping to give it a "pipe tobacco" flavor. I cannot say I cared for any of them because I do not care for cigarettes at all, my fathers years of chain smoking camels, right in everyones face, saw to that. Still, I can see where some folks would think it these are ok. Just not for me and there are other tobaccos out there which, to me, are similar.
IMHO
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

CoreyR wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:03 am I picked up several D&R blends at the TAPS show in Raleigh last year. Every one that I tried left me with the unmistakable impression of cigarette tobacco with a sprayed on, chemical topping to give it a "pipe tobacco" flavor. I cannot say I cared for any of them because I do not care for cigarettes at all, my fathers years of chain smoking camels, right in everyones face, saw to that. Still, I can see where some folks would think it these are ok. Just not for me and there are other tobaccos out there which, to me, are similar.
IMHO
I have a certain fondness for most of the D&R I have tried. The WAYS tells the tale. I don't have cigarette memories though. I have never tried the Hoopla. The only one I have tried that is a little meh to me is the Cockstrong, but it is better with a couple of coins of SRS on top of a bowl.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Wooda
Founding Member

CoreyR wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:03 am I picked up several D&R blends at the TAPS show in Raleigh last year. Every one that I tried left me with the unmistakable impression of cigarette tobacco with a sprayed on, chemical topping to give it a "pipe tobacco" flavor. I cannot say I cared for any of them because I do not care for cigarettes at all, my fathers years of chain smoking camels, right in everyones face, saw to that. Still, I can see where some folks would think it these are ok. Just not for me and there are other tobaccos out there which, to me, are similar.
IMHO
It makes me wonder what would happen if I topped a RYO ribbon cut with liquid smoke...

Ahh... It did have the classic Camels smell.

Strange how scent memory works. Camels remind me of being a toddler and dressing up in my Dad's bunker gear. Marlboro reds put me in an angry place. Haven't dug up whatever supressed memory that is pinned to.
Underwater Basketweaver.
Baskets of basket pipes.
Peacock

No-nonsense and self-effacing humor. We need more reviews from you Wooda! Seriously, that was entertaining and I would watch more.
“Nowhere in the world will such a brotherly feeling of confidence be experienced as amongst those who sit together smoking their pipes.”
- The Results and Merits of Tobacco, 1844, Doctor Barnstein
Bamarick

Wooda I'm honestly glad that you like the Hoopla. To me it tasted a bit like I imagined Grandma's drawers would smell, not that I ever smelled Grandma's drawers :lol: :lol: :lol: I've found that the only English I can smoke is John Bull and I don't smoke that very often.
American by birth, Southern by the grace of God!

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

Enjoyed the review!
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-