First try at restoration

Surlywill

Got this Dr Grabow Omega on eBay for $8 including shipping. Cleaned and rusticated then stained with ebony and cognac. Used a dremel for the rustication. Very happy with how it came out. Wanted to use a cheap pipe for a first try. Will smoke it tonite :D
“ If A is a success in life, then A=X+Y+Z. Work is X; Y is play; and Z is keeping your mouth shut.”
- Albert Einstein
Middle Earth

Sweetness
Pipe looks real good
Love estate pipes
Whalehead King

You did that rustification?!? That's very nice.

I am very impressed. It's better than I could do, which isn't much of a compliment because just about anything you would do is better than I could do. I'm not very handy.

That Grabow really looks nice and the rusitification is better than most drug store rustifictations. It doesn't look like you saw a flaw in the briar so you ran a wide-bore Dremel tool over it, and, since you had already done it once, you did it a couple more times while wearing a blindfold. It looks natural and organic.

That, S.W., is hundred-dollar-rustification.

A tip of my fedora in your direction, sir. Well done. It looks like a $100 pipe. Smoke it in good health.
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

I am impressed too.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Really a good job. I'm with WK, looks like a 100 dollar pipe!
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Surlywill

Whalehead King wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:34 pm You did that rustification?!? That's very nice.

I am very impressed. It's better than I could do, which isn't much of a compliment because just about anything you would do is better than I could do. I'm not very handy.

That Grabow really looks nice and the rusitification is better than most drug store rustifictations. It doesn't look like you saw a flaw in the briar so you ran a wide-bore Dremel tool over it, and, since you had already done it once, you did it a couple more times while wearing a blindfold. It looks natural and organic.

That, S.W., is hundred-dollar-rustification.

A tip of my fedora in your direction, sir. Well done. It looks like a $100 pipe. Smoke it in good health.
The rustification was easy. Just used a cone shaped bit and tapped it against the pipe. The dremel did all the work. Took about 20 minutes. Than I took a wire brush to nock down the burrs. Have another lot of pipes coming from eBay to play with :D
“ If A is a success in life, then A=X+Y+Z. Work is X; Y is play; and Z is keeping your mouth shut.”
- Albert Einstein
simplepipes
Codger in Training

Surlywill wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:10 pm Image

Got this Dr Grabow Omega on eBay for $8 including shipping. Cleaned and rusticated then stained with ebony and cognac. Used a dremel for the rustication. Very happy with how it came out. Wanted to use a cheap pipe for a first try. Will smoke it tonite :D
Impressive rustication . . . the pipe looks great.

-sp
My vote has not been bought . . . I paid for my Undergraduate and Graduate Degrees . . .
vwdeano

Looks swell!
A dog is the only thing that loves you more than he loves himself.
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

That looks very nice!
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Thelonious monkfish
Codger in Training

Nice! I like it, got any more pics? I've mostly taken to modified allen keys for tearing up wood, less noise/mess and harder to slip up and make quick mistakes. I need to come up with a good Estella/Sea Rock type of rustication, here's an orange peel style one, really shallow but lots of texture.