First try at restoration

Thelonious monkfish
Codger in Training

Bamarick wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:39 pm
Thelonious monkfish wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:35 pm Nice! I like it, got any more pics? I've mostly taken to modified allen keys for tearing up wood, less noise/mess and harder to slip up and make quick mistakes. I need to come up with a good Estella/Sea Rock type of rustication, here's an orange peel style one, really shallow but lots of texture.

WOW, what an improvement to the pipe. Would you mind telling us how you modified the Allen Wrench?
It was sharpened to irregular points on a stone using a bench grinder, could be done with files. Could also grind points on an interchangeable tip screwdriver. Really anything pointy and hard works, just don't skimp on the removal, really tear up the thing, unless you're into partial rustication and can make it look good. Staining before rustication helps gauge progress.

Still looks goofy

Fully shredded and stained

Coat of shellac
Preacher1611
Member in Good Standing

Surlywill wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:10 pm Image

Got this Dr Grabow Omega on eBay for $8 including shipping. Cleaned and rusticated then stained with ebony and cognac. Used a dremel for the rustication. Very happy with how it came out. Wanted to use a cheap pipe for a first try. Will smoke it tonite :D

That looks fantastic!
BriarPipeNYC

The close up of the orange-peel finish.... looks like the pipe was buffed after the rusticating?

Was the pipe buffed before the final waxy finish? The shallow, Allen-key method doesn't seem to be as aggressive as the Dremel burr-carved, or nail-carved rustification textures.