Stem Wax/Polish?

Bamarick

I've been working on the stem of a favorite pipe that came to me with a lot of very minor chewing marks that were not deep at all. I first used Rouge that came with a Drill Press Buffing Wheel and that removed most of the marks. Then I sanded with a piece of 2000 grit Wet/Dry Sandpaper. Finally I used some Flitz Polish on a soft cloth and that removed all of the scratches, etc. However, the area I worked on is dull. What Wax or Polish should I get to bring the stem's luster back? Thanks to all.

Rick
American by birth, Southern by the grace of God!

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!
Thelonious monkfish
Codger in Training

Never used Flitz but I assume it should have polished that spot. I use toothpaste to polish, little dab on a cotton ball and a q tip for the button. Then go over with a clean cotton ball.
Longshanks
Member in Good Standing

Oh, good, I heard buffing wheel. Kudos! :king:

I've had really good success shining stems with rouge and then carnuba on the buffing wheel BUT... if you get some White Wax... now THAT really brings out the mirror shine on stems for me. :thumbs:

Got a little chunk from PIMO for about $3 when I ordered carnuba and some tools a looooong time ago because it was suggested by PIMO for mirror shine and protecting vulcanite. You can probably find it cheaper in bulk somewhere else. You'll still want to stick with carnuba on the bowl where it gets extra warm.
Longshanks
"He who shall, so shall he... wait, who?" :?
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

I've been buffing with Tripoli compound and carnuba wax for over three decades . After getting the feel for how much Tripoli and how much pressure to usee with it , it's been a perfect combo . Its what was used and real b&m shops for a hundred years
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Bamarick

Thelonious monkfish wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:03 pm Never used Flitz but I assume it should have polished that spot. I use toothpaste to polish, little dab on a cotton ball and a q tip for the button. Then go over with a clean cotton ball.
OK, those items I have so I'll give that a try before spending the big bucks for anything else. Thanks for the tips, I'll let you all know ho wit turns out. The stem is as slick as a baby's bottom, but it's just dull. Since it's such a good pipe of course I want it to look good.

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!
Bamarick

Longshanks wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:12 pm Oh, good, I heard buffing wheel. Kudos! :king:

I've had really good success shining stems with rouge and then carnuba on the buffing wheel BUT... if you get some White Wax... now THAT really brings out the mirror shine on stems for me. :thumbs:

Got a little chunk from PIMO for about $3 when I ordered carnuba and some tools a looooong time ago because it was suggested by PIMO for mirror shine and protecting vulcanite. You can probably find it cheaper in bulk somewhere else. You'll still want to stick with carnuba on the bowl where it gets extra warm.

White Wax as in super refined Beeswax?

Ruffinogold wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:35 pm I've been buffing with Tripoli compound and carnuba wax for over three decades . After getting the feel for how much Tripoli and how much pressure to usee with it , it's been a perfect combo . Its what was used and real b&m shops for a hundred years
I must admit that I had to google Tripoli Compound as I had never heard of it. It is a brown bar, right?

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!
Longshanks
Member in Good Standing

Bamarick wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:49 pm
Longshanks wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:12 pm Oh, good, I heard buffing wheel. Kudos! :king:

White Wax as in super refined Beeswax?

Ruffinogold wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:35 pm I've been buffing with Tripoli compound and carnuba wax for over three decades . After getting the feel for how much Tripoli and how much pressure to usee with it , it's been a perfect combo . Its what was used and real b&m shops for a hundred years
I must admit that I had to google Tripoli Compound as I had never heard of it. It is a brown bar, right?
I've seen tripoli in clay red to reddish-brown looking bars, also referred to by some as jeweler's rouge if I'm not mistaken. It's probably what you're using to buff out scuffs now. And I believe the white wax I bought from PIMO was most likely the same thing as purified or refined beeswax. Honestly, if you already have carnuba you would probably do just as well with it.
Longshanks
"He who shall, so shall he... wait, who?" :?
Chef Benny
Codger in Training

EA Carey has some pretty good stuff..
~ Tobacco is part of a complete breakfast.
Dr Uhaha
Member in Very Good Standing

Have a shipment of vintage Grabows coming in soon and would like to properly restore them. Can anybody steer me to the best source for carnauba wax and micro mesh pads?

Thanks!
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Bro Uhaha wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:57 am Have a shipment of vintage Grabows coming in soon and would like to properly restore them. Can anybody steer me to the best source for carnauba wax and micro mesh pads?

Thanks!
Woodcraft sells both micro-mesh and renaissance wax, if you have one of those in your area. I find renaissance wax similar enough to Halcyon/Paragon that I doubt I would notice a difference if someone switched them under my nose. They also sell pure carnauba blocks and buffing wheel setups if you are wanting to go that route.

If you are looking for online retailers, you can buy micro-mesh on amazon, and Paragon wax here:
https://www.finepipes.com/accessories/p ... -pipe-1-oz

Here's a link to the micro-mesh pads I have used:
https://www.amazon.com/Sanding-Stopper- ... 60&sr=8-4
Another note is that you can skip micro-mesh entirely and buy automotive wet/dry paper up to 12000 grit and it works just as well in my experience.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt