Defect Briar under sandblast

Wilderness Pipe

Last night I decided to try a little experiment with an old Molina pipe I own. This pipe was my very first pipe which I bought myself in 2004. Back then I tried my hand at smoking a pipe for the very first time, but gave it up again after a few months. So without further ado, I now present you the Pipe in question... Ta daaaa.... Image..
In the past few months I quite often read, or heard on YouTube, that some people said they would never buy a sandblasted Pipe because, they believe, that the layer of sandblast very often hides a defected Briar. It's made sense, so I decided to try a little experiment. I dug up that old Molina, went into my workshop and started sanding of the thick layer of sandblast. I hadn't smoked that Pipe in 15 years and I didn't like the look of that black sandblast anyways.
Well, here is what it looked like after sanding off the sandblast.
I'm sure you can see that fairly long crack. Now, please keep in mind that this was a 45 $ US Pipe and I know there are a lot of superb quality pipes in sandblast out there. But, in this case, it's quite obvious that it's, at best, a third rate piece of Briar which was used here and, instead of throwing it away, they sandblasted it and so hid the defects.
On a side note, I have to say that I find the look of the Pipe, the way she is now, quite interesting and might actually smoke her today. Also, I love the "nature" look of an oil treated pipe anyways.
Or what say you?
She would be a great pipe for while I'm guiding hunts on horseback.
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

I see a lot of interwebs people saying that they'd not buy a sandblast or rusticated pipe because they are just a way to shovel off the reject briar to us unsuspecting masses. I don't doubt that is the case for virtually all the blasts and rustications on factory made pipes. The real question is, does it really matter? If the pipe smokes just as well as a prime selected cut of Grecian Plateau, then who cares?
On your pipe, some of that could be defect - that long inclusion almost looks like a worm/beetle track. It could very well be that those were the less dense areas that got massively eaten away by the blasting process. I am with you in that I dig that look. I am of the mind that I'd rather them not fill in the defects because they give the pipe character. Then again, I am also not buying $400 Castellos either.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

It's 0k to hide superficial stuff . What else would they do with it . The same could be said with dark stained pipes , leather covered and no doubt painted ones . They tend to be hiding pits and what not sometimes.
I'll say this though .. it looked alot better blasted
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Tsal
Forum Decorum

I prefer sandblasted over rustication. A nice tight ring blast is a great looker. Not all blasts hide defects. Take a look at J.T Cooke, he blasts perfect blocks one after another.
The Troll Whisperer
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Bruyere_Royale wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:30 pm I prefer sandblasted over rustication. A nice tight ring blast is a great looker. Not all blasts hide defects. Take a look at J.T Cooke, he blasts perfect blocks one after another.
Cooke and Parks are masters :thumbs:
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
simplepipes
Codger in Training

Bruyere_Royale wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:30 pm I prefer sandblasted over rustication. A nice tight ring blast is a great looker. Not all blasts hide defects. Take a look at J.T Cooke, he blasts perfect blocks one after another.
I have known Jim Cooke for many years . . . his standing joke is that a Smooth Finished Cooke pipe is a "Second".

-sp
My vote has not been bought . . . I paid for my Undergraduate and Graduate Degrees . . .
Wilderness Pipe

I'm smoking that pipe right now and she smokes just fine. To be honest, after I sanded here with 1500 grit and treated her with some more oil, I actually really like the looks of her. I wouldn't be surprised, if she became one of my "regulars". Probably for work
Wilderness Pipe

Ruffinogold wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:35 am It's 0k to hide superficial stuff . What else would they do with it . The same could be said with dark stained pipes , leather covered and no doubt painted ones . They tend to be hiding pits and what not sometimes.
Yeah, I didn't much care for that black sandblast anymore. I'm a sucker for the "real" wood look. I live in a log cabin. My work shop is made from logs, horsebarn, guest cabin etc as well. I just love the feel of un- or oil treated wood. Don't get me wrong, I own 3 sandblasted pipes. They are beautiful. I really didn't mean to "bad mouth" sandblasted or rusticated pipes at all. Mainly I just didn't like the black sandblast on that Molina and was curious what she'd look like without it
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Wilderness Pipe wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:56 pm
Ruffinogold wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:35 am It's 0k to hide superficial stuff . What else would they do with it . The same could be said with dark stained pipes , leather covered and no doubt painted ones . They tend to be hiding pits and what not sometimes.
Yeah, I didn't much care for that black sandblast anymore. I'm a sucker for the "real" wood look. I live in a log cabin. My work shop is made from logs, horsebarn, guest cabin etc as well. I just love the feel of un- or oil treated wood. Don't get me wrong, I own 3 sandblasted pipes. They are beautiful. I really didn't mean to "bad mouth" sandblasted or rusticated pipes at all. Mainly I just didn't like the black sandblast on that Molina and was curious what she'd look like without it
I didn't take it as if you were badmouthing anything. All pipes work and your tastes are your own. I agree with you on the Molina, I think it has more character now and you'll enjoy it even more.
The Troll Whisperer
Tsal
Forum Decorum

simplepipes wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:34 pm
I have known Jim Cooke for many years . . . his standing joke is that a Smooth Finished Cooke pipe is a "Second".

-sp
That sounds about right! I would love to own a Cooke one day but m'lady would shoot me if I bought one. She knows all about his 850 . Lol
The Troll Whisperer