The History of This Pipe, Vol I

ncrobb
Founding Member

[mention]Whalehead King[/mention] suggested it but I haven’t seen the thread so I thought I’d kick it off.

This is one of my favorite pipes. When I refer to the “Busted Barling” this is it. It’s vintage. I looked the date up by the logo etc but can’t remember how old she is. I like Lumberman shape and when it was offered up on the old PSF I raised my hand and took her in. She came in three pieces. The gentleman, unfortunately I cannot remember who the forum member was, offered her up in exchange for a donation to a food pantry. I obliged and dropped in $20 to my church’s program. He had purchased a pipe lot on eBay and the seller didn’t do a good job wrapping the pipes and stand but simply set them in a box, slapped on a label and let it fly. When the buyer received the box the Barling had paid the price for inadequate packing. So when the Barling arrived at my house I had a stummel with half shank, the broken section of shank with the stem tenon still in it and the rest of the stem. I ordered a piece of stainless steel tubing and a stem blank from an online retailer. I used a properly sized drill bit inserted into the shank and set it up in my drill press to back drill for the tubing. I did the same for the broken off section of shank and cut a piece of tubing to fit in and help support the repair. A little two part epoxy set the tubing and held the two pipe sections together. I went sparingly applying the glue on the tubing as I didn’t want any expoxy pushed out into the draft hole. Now that I had a one piece stummel again I used a my lathe to turn the stem blank tenon down to fit the mortise and then did a little shaping on a belt sander. Finally I worked up through the grits to make the stem shiny and gave her a proper polish and buff. She has an open draw which I like, seems to burn everything I put in her with ease and looks great as well.

“I’d like to ride the rodeo, but I got Brahma Fear.” - Jimmy Buffett
Whalehead King

ncrobb wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:46 pm [mention]Whalehead King[/mention] suggested it but I haven’t seen the thread so I thought I’d kick it off.

This is one of my favorite pipes. When I refer to the “Busted Barling” this is it. It’s vintage. I looked the date up by the logo etc but can’t remember how old she is. I like Lumberman shape and when it was offered up on the old PSF I raised my hand and took her in. She came in three pieces. The gentleman, unfortunately I cannot remember who the forum member was, offered her up in exchange for a donation to a food pantry. I obliged and dropped in $20 to my church’s program. He had purchased a pipe lot on eBay and the seller didn’t do a good job wrapping the pipes and stand but simply set them in a box, slapped on a label and let it fly. When the buyer received the box the Barling had paid the price for inadequate packing. So when the Barling arrived at my house I had a stummel with half shank, the broken section of shank with the stem tenon still in it and the rest of the stem. I ordered a piece of stainless steel tubing and a stem blank from an online retailer. I used a properly sized drill bit inserted into the shank and set it up in my drill press to back drill for the tubing. I did the same for the broken off section of shank and cut a piece of tubing to fit in and help support the repair. A little two part epoxy set the tubing and held the two pipe sections together. I went sparingly applying the glue on the tubing as I didn’t want any expoxy pushed out into the draft hole. Now that I had a one piece stummel again I used a my lathe to turn the stem blank tenon down to fit the mortise and then did a little shaping on a belt sander. Finally I worked up through the grits to make the stem shiny and gave her a proper polish and buff. She has an open draw which I like, seems to burn everything I put in her with ease and looks great as well.

Every pipe has a story. Thanks for starting this thread and telling this pipe's story. It looks like a good friend that'll be there when you need it. TLC is the secret ingredient of many a success story.

Thanks, Mr. Cobb. This is certain to be a real whiz-bang thread!