Loose stem

rlucas
Member in Good Standing

Didn't see any topic covering this. My pipe is loose at the stem. Itys loose to the point of almost falling out. I read somewhere that smoking it can tighten things back up but that is not working. What can I do? Thanks
"That's mighty bold talk for a one eyed fat man!" -Lucky Ned Pepper.
Johnny
Member in Good Standing

A little beeswax on the tenon could help. Just work it into the mortise
Tsal
Forum Decorum

+1 on the beeswax if that doesn't do the trick a small dab of Elmer's white glue on your finger and apply a thin coat around the tenon and it will hold, it's not toxic and you can easily twist the stem back out when it's time for a clean.
The Troll Whisperer
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

rlucas wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:39 pm Didn't see any topic covering this. My pipe is loose at the stem. Itys loose to the point of almost falling out. I read somewhere that smoking it can tighten things back up but that is not working. What can I do? Thanks
This was a tip I got from Tim West, but it only works on vulcanite. Pour some water fresh off the boil into a cup, and submerge the entire tenon into the hot water and hold it there for about 60 seconds. Remove from water, set it down and allow it to cool fully. Do not touch the tenon, or attempt to put it into the pipe before it is fully cooled, as you can deform the tenon.
The reason this works, is that vulcanite becomes more elastic when heated and tends to "puff" back up to it's original uncompressed size. This is also why direct heating removes chatter.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
rlucas
Member in Good Standing

Johnny wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:42 pm A little beeswax on the tenon could help. Just work it into the mortise
I don't have beeswax would paraffin wax do the same thing?
"That's mighty bold talk for a one eyed fat man!" -Lucky Ned Pepper.
Whalehead King

rlucas wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:46 pm
Johnny wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:42 pm A little beeswax on the tenon could help. Just work it into the mortise
I don't have beeswax would paraffin wax do the same thing?
Prognosis: negative.
Johnny
Member in Good Standing

You can get beeswax pretty cheap and it will last you a good long while. I want to say I bought a pound for around 10 bucks and have yet to go through even a quarter of it
Whalehead King

Johnny wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:51 pm You can get beeswax pretty cheap and it will last you a good long while. I want to say I bought a pound for around 10 bucks and have yet to go through even a quarter of it
It sounds like you have some to spare.
Johnny
Member in Good Standing

Whalehead King wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:08 pm
Johnny wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:51 pm You can get beeswax pretty cheap and it will last you a good long while. I want to say I bought a pound for around 10 bucks and have yet to go through even a quarter of it
It sounds like you have some to spare.
You're right good sir and just located my stash.

@rlucas if you want to pm me your address I'll gladly send you a chunk
avid

You're right good sir and just located my stash.
that's none of his beeswax
insufferable filter guy