WD-40 to grease a stem

Whalehead King

sisyphus wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 5:32 pm and for the record, WD40 is not a lubricant. It's a solvent. You'd be surprised how most people think WD40 is a lube. It will make your door open and close more smoothly, but only because it washes away the grease and dirt. Modern gun lubes that come in a small bottle with a needle end for application tend to contain oil that stays where you put it. Just a little service announcement :)
I just found out that I also own a can of Liquid Wrench which I always think of as interchangeable with WD-40. What's the status on Liquid Wrench?

Now that I know I have it I'm thinking of using it on Mrs. King's and my bicycle chains. Through the dust on the can I can read that it "works into surface for lasting lubricatiion."

I like the idea of some lube working into the surface of the tenon (the tenon isn't brylon but some other kind of indestructible Yello-bowl nylon that is soft and resilient in a clench) but I don't want to overdo it make it too slippery. So far, my light application of OTC aerosol solvent is working fine and if I increase the ease of removal I may have a bowl falling on the floor. I'd like a little more information for future reference.

Please advise. I don't know anything about this stuff. Thanks!
avid

arturo7 wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 6:45 pmMust easier to toss it in the garbage.
the thought would never enter my mind... ;)
insufferable filter guy
avid

sisyphus wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 5:32 pm and for the record, WD40 is not a lubricant. It's a solvent. You'd be surprised how most people think WD40 is a lube. It will make your door open and close more smoothly, but only because it washes away the grease and dirt. Modern gun lubes that come in a small bottle with a needle end for application tend to contain oil that stays where you put it. Just a little service announcement :)
it's also intended for water displacement, hence the 'wd'...
insufferable filter guy
avid

personally i'd never use wd-40 on a pipe becasue it stinks...now hoppes #9 is a different story
insufferable filter guy
Whalehead King

MikeDennison wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 4:44 am Get'er done! (Isn't that what our southern members say?)
Your Northeasterness is showing.

I'm with you, though, 100%. I wouldn't post this thread on those high falluting forums. I'd be banned.

I'm not a fan of fancy-pants poseurs, either:

avid

wd-40 is also a fair penetrant and loosener
insufferable filter guy
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

Whalehead King wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 1:01 pm
MikeDennison wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 4:44 am Get'er done! (Isn't that what our southern members say?)
Your Northeasterness is showing.

I'm with you, though, 100%. I wouldn't post this thread on those high falluting forums. I'd be banned.

I'm not a fan of fancy-pants poseurs, either:

You may be no poseur, but you just may be a fancy pants. 😆 Nuthin'wrong with that, though.
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

I think I read somewhere that wd40 contains some fish oil or sardine or something like that ... or was that Dr. Pepper
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Whalehead King

Ruffinogold wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 5:02 pm I think I read somewhere that wd40 contains some fish oil or sardine or something like that ... or was that Dr. Pepper
You're thinking about Preparation H, the secret ingredient of which was shark liver oil.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preparation_H
Tsal
Forum Decorum

The Troll Whisperer