Cleaning stems

pipelover
Broken Pipe

Any ideas how to clean the build up of nicotine around your pipe stem? :roll:
Halloween joke : I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright nowoooooo !
Never give a sucker an even break ..... W.C. Fields
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Werewolf in London? 🇬🇧 lol
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Dr Uhaha
Member in Very Good Standing

Kevin Keith wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:14 am Werewolf in London? 🇬🇧 lol
pipelover
Broken Pipe

Hi guys, no one out there know a reply to my post ? I don't want to ruin the work I've put into my vulcanite stems.
I'm using a soft "J" cloth at the mo' . Not ideal , but it gets rid of some of the gunk. :D
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

I haven't had the nicotine build up problem, but I just clean off my stems with a paper towel or something if they look like they need it. Pipe cleaner down the stem for internal build up.
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Tsal
Forum Decorum

I've never had nicotine build up around any stem so I don't have an answer, but like Kevin says run a pipe cleaner. I do this after every smoke.
The Troll Whisperer
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Pipe cleaner like mentioned above. Paper towel, or the end of my shirt sleeve to wipe the end of the stem off before I put it away. I used to be obsessive about cleaning, but I've stepped that way back since discovering that letting the insides get a little seasoned with funk seems to make them smoke better for me. I usually only run a pipe cleaner down the stem every 3 smokes or so, or if I am changing to a different blend in that pipe.
If I start to see some brown/green oxidation forming near the end of the bit, I will hit it with some "Flitz" polish on a paper towel and that usually takes the stem back to shiny piano black.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
pipelover
Broken Pipe

Cheers smokers. Will persevere !
Jlando19

Houtenziel wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:08 am Pipe cleaner like mentioned above. Paper towel, or the end of my shirt sleeve to wipe the end of the stem off before I put it away. I used to be obsessive about cleaning, but I've stepped that way back since discovering that letting the insides get a little seasoned with funk seems to make them smoke better for me. I usually only run a pipe cleaner down the stem every 3 smokes or so, or if I am changing to a different blend in that pipe.
If I start to see some brown/green oxidation forming near the end of the bit, I will hit it with some "Flitz" polish on a paper towel and that usually takes the stem back to shiny piano black.
Flitz is a magical concoction in my opinion.
"Good enough" is a false idol. Beware those that preach its virtue.
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Jlando19 wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:45 am
Houtenziel wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:08 am Pipe cleaner like mentioned above. Paper towel, or the end of my shirt sleeve to wipe the end of the stem off before I put it away. I used to be obsessive about cleaning, but I've stepped that way back since discovering that letting the insides get a little seasoned with funk seems to make them smoke better for me. I usually only run a pipe cleaner down the stem every 3 smokes or so, or if I am changing to a different blend in that pipe.
Flitz is a magical concoction in my opinion.
It is. I've noticed that stems that I've done a finishing polish with Flitz tend to not oxidize nearly as fast as ones I polish traditionally with a low speed buffer setup, tripoli, white diamond, and carnauba. I use it to polish gun parts(it is one of a few polishes that won't mess with bluing), and I even used it to take a scratch out of a lens on my glasses the other day. It's like Windex, but for polishing.. put that stuff on anything.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt