Bowl Coatings

Tsal
Forum Decorum

Kevin Keith wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:06 pm
Bruyere_Royale wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:07 pm
Jlando19 wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:53 pm I think part of the reason why I got into smoking a pipe is because my dad used to do it. I talked to him about it recently and he went on and on about this pipe he had that was cured with honey. I kinda want to give it a try, if at least to say I've done it.
Yello-Bole pipes had the honey coating.
Well, whether they was really cured with honey or not (and I have no proof they were not), at least it was yellow! There probably were some drops of honey in the paint. *coff* *hack* *wheeze* *coff* lol
This is true but I still would have believed their marketing in the olden days.

I wiped the honey coating out of my brylon pipe on accident, I really wish I didn't.
The Troll Whisperer
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

If I have an estate with spider webbing in the bowl from being smoked too hot, I will paint the cracks with corn syrup and shake some cigar ash in the bowl to give it a little carbon protection before proper cake builds. I have coated the entire bowl of a new pipe this way if there is stain in it and I don't want to be tasting the stain until the cake gets going.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Bruyere_Royale wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:07 pm
Jlando19 wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:53 pm I think part of the reason why I got into smoking a pipe is because my dad used to do it. I talked to him about it recently and he went on and on about this pipe he had that was cured with honey. I kinda want to give it a try, if at least to say I've done it.
Yello-Bole pipes had the honey coating.
Well, whether they was really cured with honey or not (and I have no proof they were not), at least it was yellow! There probably were some drops of honey in the paint. *coff* *hack* *wheeze* *coff* lol
I read somewhere(probably something [mention]Thelonious monkfish[/mention] posted) that the coating used for yello-bole and most other SM Frank pipes, is primarily shellac - which may or may not have had some miniscule amount of honey added at some point in the production. If you've ever heated shellac up it gets really tacky which then traps the ash and starts a nice cake.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Thelonious monkfish
Codger in Training

Houtenziel wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:08 pm
Bruyere_Royale wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:07 pm Yello-Bole pipes had the honey coating.
I read somewhere(probably something [mention]Thelonious monkfish[/mention] posted) that the coating used for yello-bole and most other SM Frank pipes, is primarily shellac - which may or may not have had some miniscule amount of honey added at some point in the production. If you've ever heated shellac up it gets really tacky which then traps the ash and starts a nice cake.
According to the president of S.M. Frank, Bill Feuerbach

"Our black bowl lining is a mix of thick natural shellac (3 1/2 pound cut) and FDA approved coloring. Black for use in Kaywoodie and Medico and yellow for use in Yello-bole. The shellac when warmed will get tacky and help the ash adhere to the walls of the chamber and help the initial cake start building up."
Thelonious monkfish
Codger in Training

Dr Uhaha wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:02 am Do any of you apply bowl coatings to new or refurb. pipes? Strong preferences for or against?
Bare for new pipes and estates in good shape. I've used shellac and activated charcoal/ash on a few with pre burnout spots or grazing from smoking hot.
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

I love the grape jelly idea but, no, I never bothered with a coating.

I pack the pipe, I smoke it, and I let nature take its course.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.