Which wax for buffing?

mrpipster
Solid Citizen

Which wax do I buy?
I dont have a buffing wheel so I will do this by hand.
Thanks.
"Fear is the Mother of Morality." Friedrich Nietzsche
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Carnauba wax is the most common, but it's realllly difficult to use if you don't have a buffer due to how hard it is. I've used Paragon/Halcyon(purchased from finepipes.com) wax with good results. I've also used pure beeswax on a couple stems and it looked great, but it has such a low melting point that I ended up removing it because it made the stems feel greasy.

Also of note.. when they say not to use Paragon on rusticated or sandblasted pipes.. they mean it. It is a major pain to get out of cracks and crevices. Use Halcyon if you have a pipe with any texture to it.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
mrpipster
Solid Citizen

Well that sucks. I have to find something I can use to hand buff with.
Any oils you know of that will work?
xrundog

I've used Renaissance Wax for hand application. It's okay. But it doesn't last. It lacks the harder finish of carnauba wax.
Do you have a drill press? I use soft wheels at medium/low speed on my drill press. One wheel for application of carnauba and another wheel for buffing to a shine. Works great!
Thelonious monkfish
Codger in Training

Halcyon wax. It's microcrystalline so polishes itself. Use a tiny amount, I apply with a q tip. It buffs with a cotton ball or shirt, to bring out more shine spread a little on a piece of 5000 micro mesh. Also keep a toothbrush charged with it for rusticated/blasted pipes.
mrpipster
Solid Citizen

Thelonious monkfish wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:31 pm Halcyon wax. It's microcrystalline so polishes itself. Use a tiny amount, I apply with a q tip. It buffs with a cotton ball or shirt, to bring out more shine spread a little on a piece of 5000 micro mesh. Also keep a toothbrush charged with it for rusticated/blasted pipes.
Where do you buy this wax?
Thanks.
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

mrpipster wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:45 pm
Thelonious monkfish wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:31 pm Halcyon wax. It's microcrystalline so polishes itself. Use a tiny amount, I apply with a q tip. It buffs with a cotton ball or shirt, to bring out more shine spread a little on a piece of 5000 micro mesh. Also keep a toothbrush charged with it for rusticated/blasted pipes.
Thanks.
https://www.finepipes.com/accessories/halcyon-ii-wax
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

I use Renaissance wax on my pipes because I happened to have a jar of it. It works OK. I seem to get better results by really letting it sit on the surface a long time to dry, do a gentle wipe off, let it set a while longer and then start rubbing. Used some yesterday on a toothbrush on a rusticated pipe I was cleaning up and I give the results 2 thumbs up
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
mrpipster
Solid Citizen

houtenziel wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:47 pm
mrpipster wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:45 pm
Thanks.
https://www.finepipes.com/accessories/halcyon-ii-wax
Thanks.
arturo7
Member in Good Standing

Use the oil from the side of your nose.

Works great, costs nothing, always within reach, and you'll never run out!
ever forward