White Summit Overhaul

oldbill
Member in Good Standing

kxg wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:47 am Very nice work in resurrecting that pipe!
Thank You Sir! :D
... and you can put that in your pipe and smoke it!!!
Bamarick

One might say that you've taken a Sow's Ear and turned it into a Silk Purse. Great job!!
American by birth, Southern by the grace of God!

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!
Thelonious monkfish
Codger in Training

Nice score and good work on it. Yes, paint is for walls, not wood. Painted wood is hiding something, on pipes that's usually lack of grain and or excessive flaws. I strip that and usually rusticate them out to match how bad the flaws are. If you want to fill them in try using Briar dust/shavings and superglue, you can stain the dust to match beforehand.
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Wow! You really turned that pipe into something special, it looks fantastic! Enjoy them smokes...💨💨
The Troll Whisperer
oldbill
Member in Good Standing

Bamarick wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:22 pm One might say that you've taken a Sow's Ear and turned it into a Silk Purse. Great job!!
Bruyere_Royale wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:14 pm Wow! You really turned that pipe into something special, it looks fantastic! Enjoy them smokes...💨💨
Thanks guys, it was a labor of love. I'm going to put a coating in the bowl and once it's cured I'm planning on lighting her up, hopefully sometime this week.:D
oldbill
Member in Good Standing

Thelonious monkfish wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:29 pm Nice score and good work on it. Yes, paint is for walls, not wood. Painted wood is hiding something, on pipes that's usually lack of grain and or excessive flaws. I strip that and usually rusticate them out to match how bad the flaws are. If you want to fill them in try using Briar dust/shavings and superglue, you can stain the dust to match beforehand.
Thank you Sir! Yeah, I was prepared to to find flaws when I stripped the paint off but man! :shock: I actually thought about rusticating since it probably would've been easier to just add more jaggedness and holes to what was already there but my original vision for this pipe was smooth and sleek and I got determined to make it so. :D
Johnny
Member in Good Standing

Nice work, man! Looks infinitely better than it did
oldbill
Member in Good Standing

Johnny wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:26 am Nice work, man! Looks infinitely better than it did
Thanks! I'm sure the pipe feels better now that all that white crud is off of him and he can show off his pretty wood grain! :D