Butane question

Tsal
Forum Decorum

Fr_Tom wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:01 am I estimate just by feel that I have 1/10 of the can left. I tried a new can, and it is getting more butane with the new one for certain. Being cheap, I will use this old can until it is as empty as I can get it.
When your butane lighters go empty do your release the pressure in the tank before you refill them? I find my lighters last longer when I do that.
The Troll Whisperer
Big Iron
Member in Good Standing

Bruyere_Royale wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:14 am
Fr_Tom wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:01 am I estimate just by feel that I have 1/10 of the can left. I tried a new can, and it is getting more butane with the new one for certain. Being cheap, I will use this old can until it is as empty as I can get it.
When your butane lighters go empty do your release the pressure in the tank before you refill them? I find my lighters last longer when I do that.
Thats a million dollar question right there.
"Keep your nose in the wind, your eye along the skyline"
Del Gue
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Big Iron wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:26 pm
Thats a million dollar question right there.
Most people do not know to do this step.
The Troll Whisperer
Ronv69
Founding Member

About 1 time out of 10.
God and Texas!
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

I'm sure everyone is fascinated by my Hurricane Ida Butane Emergency (TM), but here it goes:

It is very windy today, a hurricane is coming. Landfall sometime later today or tonight. It is very windy. Nothing is ever still, even for a second.

I have nothing to do, and I'm resigned to whatever will be will be, so I went into my shed to smoke pipes and cigars and read the Review section of the weekend WSJ, as is my Sunday habit. Well, I sit down in my shed and I discover I have misplaced my Zippo lighter! It's missing. I don't suspect burglary so much as my own absentmindedness. It must be somewhere but it is nowhere where I can find it. I went to find my empty butane lighter, the one I was going to fill yesterday at Terranova's if they hadn't been busy boarding up their store. Luckily, I found the butane lighter.

I took the spent can of butane and applied it to the female end of the the lighter's heel, where you put the butane in. I pushed down and some aerosol came out. I relented. There was a tiny bit of fluid in the chamber. I could see it. I pushed down quickly, another quick shot. More fluid.

I pushed the tip from the can into the receptacle one more time, this time holding it in place. Nothing happened. No squirt. Not even a hiss.

Well this was a fine kettle of fish.

Through deduction, I decided my best strategy would be to deploy several sharp jerks quickly, just enough to release a little butane into the lighter's chamber. I did this. It took about six quick movements as I've described, I felt like a tattoo artist, to fill the chamber more than it has ever been filled before---to the brim.

Maybe during all these years I just didn't know what I was doing. No one ever taught me how to fill a butane lighter. I'm an autodidact. I never looked up a YouTube videos because the whole process seemed self-explanatory.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Ronv69 wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:00 pm
About 1 time out of 10.
This is *maybe* what I do. I do it sometimes but not very often.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

I had a Colibri rep at the shop one day . I told him some people had issues with refilling and them not working properly . He said , keep the lighter right side up and release all pressure . It will go dead and if you wait a few seconds and try again ... there will be more , sometimes many times . When its truly dead , refill [ lighter upside down ] and let warm up a few mins . It should work fine . If it doesnt , it could be carbon or some build up that needs to be blown out etc ..
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
cigrmaster
Member in Good Standing

I know when my can is empty when it stops freezing the piss out of my hand. It is rare to find an attachment that doesn't leak even a little.
Harris
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

I've given up on butane. I can't be bothered. Zippo only from now on, and matches as a last resort.

I'm sick of butane. It is too much hassle. There. I said it.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Other than a bic or clipper , Im not much into Butane . However , I dig the ronson Jet lite . Its super cheap and works well .. even after a refill

So , I happen across a video to " Mod " the Jet lite . I may do the mod when I get bored later , for fun .

[mediahttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VT9inGkgXm0][/media]
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.