MM, need filters or no?

Fr_Tom
Chaplain

I have never cared for the filters, but it is really a matter of taste. Some people like them.

This is one of those "try it and see" things. Either the benefit for you justifies the cost/bother/whatever, or it does not.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
avid

Fr_Tom wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:36 amThis is one of those "try it and see" things. Either the benefit for you justifies the cost/bother/whatever, or it does not.
there's a lot more emotion in it than that
insufferable filter guy
AndreRitter

Thank you for the input folk, useful all.

The cost of the Medico 6mm filters is minimal though. Even using a fresh one each day as they are 99p for ten.

It'll probably be a moot point once my other pipes start arriving as I'm not after all a fan of this MM.
True or not I can't get the thought I'm smoking wood 😉 out of my mind due to the way the shank protrudes into the chamber like a gantry.
:uh:
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

AndreRitter wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:09 pm Thank you for the input folk, useful all.

The cost of the Medico 6mm filters is minimal though. Even using a fresh one each day as they are 99p for ten.

It'll probably be a moot point once my other pipes start arriving as I'm not after all a fan of this MM.
True or not I can't get the thought I'm smoking wood 😉 out of my mind due to the way the shank protrudes into the chamber like a gantry.
Smoke a briar pipe, and the entire bowl is wood...
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
simplepipes
Codger in Training

Enjoy my cobs immensely . . . I I do not use filters with any of them.

I have modified all by boring the chambers and changing stems. Excellent pipes for a modest investment.

-sp
My vote has not been bought . . . I paid for my Undergraduate and Graduate Degrees . . .
AndreRitter

I guess boring the chamber gets rid of the sticky in bit.
Not a bad shout.
Dr Uhaha
Member in Very Good Standing

AndreRitter wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:05 am I guess boring the chamber gets rid of the sticky in bit.
Not a bad shout.
It is that bit of shank protruding into the chamber which gives a new cob that awful taste during break in. If you can get the cob past that stage (5-6 bowls for me) then it doesn't taste that way at all anymore.
AndreRitter

I'm a tad mad 🤪 and can't get the burnt woody taste out of my mind.

Where are my damn briars Mr Postman?
simplepipes
Codger in Training

I use a rotary "burr" to bore my new cobs. The shank that protrudes into the chamber becomes part of the "floor" of the chamber. I take a small amount of diluted honey and coat the inside of the chamber totally. Let it dry and a few smokes later you have a wonderfully "broken in" pipe.

I have some wonderful Briars as well and enjoy my cobs equally . . .

-sp
My vote has not been bought . . . I paid for my Undergraduate and Graduate Degrees . . .
AndreRitter

Nice.

I'd need to raise the floor in mine as it is a good five mm below the draught hole.

I had thought on having a fiddle, I'm pretty handy, but I'll just wait for wood.