Pipe tamper finishes...

Craydes

Hey fellers,

It's been a crazy year, and I checked out a while ago, got busy with a whole number of things. My wife is pregnant, after ten years of trying, so that's keeping me busy also.

I have a quick question, about pipe tampers, specifically what would be a good finish to use on a tamper that's all wood that won't ruin the smoke? Any help or thoughts would be appreciated.
Just.....

….pretend I said something witty.
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Craydes wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:42 pm Hey fellers,

It's been a crazy year, and I checked out a while ago, got busy with a whole number of things. My wife is pregnant, after ten years of trying, so that's keeping me busy also.

I have a quick question, about pipe tampers, specifically what would be a good finish to use on a tamper that's all wood that won't ruin the smoke? Any help or thoughts would be appreciated.
Any film type finish(lacquer, shellac, polyurethane, danish oil) is going to take a beating. Tung oil or boild linseed oil would work, but its still going to get worn on the business end.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

There is nothing in this world more beautiful than an expectant mother and no other calling more rewarding than being a good father. Congratulations on the addition to your family.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Craydes

Citizen B wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:27 pm

There is nothing in this world more beautiful than an expectant mother and no other calling more rewarding than being a good father. Congratulations on the addition to your family.
thank you very much!
Just.....

Craydes

Houtenziel wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:21 pm

Any film type finish(lacquer, shellac, polyurethane, danish oil) is going to take a beating. Tung oil or boild linseed oil would work, but its still going to get worn on the business end.

Thank you! I'll give that a shot.
Just.....

Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

I use golf tees, natural wood. One will last a long time and when it's used up, I grab another one.

FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Tsal
Forum Decorum

I use flesh so I have nothing to add here, but perhaps keep it bare or drive a nail into the bottom.
The Troll Whisperer
pipelover
Broken Pipe

I used a large flat headed galvanised naul for long enough. Flat head, and a sharp gougy end for the bowl. (And it's free) !
Never give a sucker an even break ..... W.C. Fields