New pipe knife

Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Dr Uhaha wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:21 am
Fr_Tom wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:54 am
Dr Uhaha wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:28 am

:lol:
I am confident this is the bottom line performance eval for lots of people out there.
Funny you should mention that. I just spent 10 minutes of my life telling a guy how to mail a letter. I'm talking #10 envelope and first class stamp. :bang:
That's, at minimum, the subject of four page thread right there. Minimum!
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

I thought it was on this thread, but it apparently isn't. [mention]Chef Benny[/mention] posted a picture of a pipe knife and I ordered from Amazon. It cost $12, maybe $15. I don't think I would pay $15 so it was probably closer to $12.00.

I've been expecting it, so when I went out my front door today and found a small package on my stoop, I scooped it up and brought it with me to where I was going to go. I figured everyone would want to see what was in the package. It's a good thing it was the pipe knife Chef Benny described and not something embarrassing.

The waitresses came over to wish me a happy belated birthday while I cut open the package with my Opinel pocket knife.

The gender fluid waitress was very taken with it. "Do you mind if I take a picture of that, Mr. King? I want one of those," she said. I'm going to give her a machine made cigar tomorrow. It's Christmastime.

The ladies threw away all the packaging, so I don't have any paperwork to refer to. It's a nice pipe knife. I'm going to put it through its paces. Updates to follow. I wish I could find the thread in which Chef Benny and I were discussing pipe knives. Oh, well, never mind. I may as well put this post here.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Wildcat
Codger in Training

I've toyed with the idea of a pipe knife. I look forward to a review of yours. I've also toyed with the idea of rounding rhe end of one of the blades on a rarely used pocket knife I already have.
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Wildcat wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:28 pm I've toyed with the idea of a pipe knife. I look forward to a review of yours. I've also toyed with the idea of rounding rhe end of one of the blades on a rarely used pocket knife I already have.
It's having the aerator spike, along with the reaming blade, and the tamper, that makes the pipe knife an ideal tool. I used to swear by a Czech tool, which is cool, but once I got used to a real blade instead of the dottle spoon, I was converted. Don't keep the knife blade super-sharp, and, as you mentioned, the blade should have a rounded head.

I looked at pharmacists' knives, which also have rounded heads and dull blades, but they don't have aerator spikes. Like a sailor's marlinspike makes a knife a boatswain's knife, an aerator spike makes a pipe smoker's knife a certified pipe knife.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Wildcat
Codger in Training

Citizen B wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:36 pm I looked at pharmacists' knives, which also have rounded heads and dull blades, but they don't have aerator spikes. Like a sailor's marlinspike makes a knife a boatswain's knife, an aerator spike makes a pipe smoker's knife a certified pipe knife.
"See, we're in Italy. The guy on the top bunk has gotta make the guy on the bottom's bed all the time. It's in the regulations. If we were in Germany I would have to make yours. But we're in Italy, so you've gotta make mine. It's regulations."
Dewey Oxburger
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom