Tampers (Common Items)

John

sisyphus wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:29 pm I've always used a Tsuge, which is a clone of a Dunhill Jr.. This is the one I have currently.
Those are nice. They have them on cigarbid.com occasionally for a good price. I might grab one next time.
Islayphile
Member in Good Standing

Czech tool for me most of the time, but I do use a meer tamper and a 45-70 shell now and then.
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Islayphile wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:50 pm Czech tool for me most of the time, but I do use a meer tamper and a 45-70 shell now and then.
I would think a 47-70 shell would be a little wide for some bowls, but I like the idea...
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Islayphile
Member in Good Standing

Fr_Tom wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:21 pm
Islayphile wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:50 pm Czech tool for me most of the time, but I do use a meer tamper and a 45-70 shell now and then.
I would think a 47-70 shell would be a little wide for some bowls, but I like the idea...
I tend to only use it when smoking my Sav 115ks
Dr Uhaha
Member in Very Good Standing

ImageImage

Loving my new Sixpence tamper made by Brandon Daniel. You can find him on Instagram at b.daniel_pipecraft. Really nice guy.
Whalehead King

I've got my pipe knife with its tamper at the ready but I'm just as often using a drawing pencil recently. The pencil doesn't have an eraser. It's got a point and lead on one end and a metal tip on the other. I use the metal type because I'm using the pencil for writing and, well, drawing. This pencil serves three purposes in my toolkit!
MeerCat

I made this one out of a redwood burl.

Then I made a matching scraper. The handle is redwood burl and the scraper is walrus tusk. It allows me to scrape off the carbon from my Meers without scratching the inside of the bowl like a metal tool would.

MeerCat

I had an old file in the shop that was worn out.

So I made an iron tamper out of it. I sort of like the rustic primitive look. I just don't use it on my Meers because I'm afraid it would scratch the inside of the bowl or the top of the bowl.
Plus, for the manly men, you can always strike it on flint to start a fire when you're in the woods. :)

simplepipes
Codger in Training

Tamp fashioned from an aluminum gutter spike . . .

-sp
My vote has not been bought . . . I paid for my Undergraduate and Graduate Degrees . . .
Tsal
Forum Decorum

simplepipes wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:59 am Image

Tamp fashioned from an aluminum gutter spike . . .

-sp
That's a great shot! Neat tamper too.
The Troll Whisperer