Tobacco Platter

Houtenziel
Codger in Training

houtenziel wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:06 pm
I also have been known to take a weeks worth of tobacco that I am diggin' and put it in a ziplock so I can codger scoop. Particularly if it's tobacco that needs any dry time.
One of the side benefits of doing this, is I like to stuff the baggie in whatever coat pocket I am wearing. Sometimes I forget it's in there and then find it randomly when I wear that coat again. A couple weeks ago I found a single old crumbly flake of something.. who knows what it was, but it was glorious! It's better than finding a dollar in an old pair of jeans.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Bigflo

I have a copper plate/dish I found at an antique mall in Mayberry I polished it up and I use that to dry my tobacco before I load up
Johnny
Member in Good Standing

For mixtures and flakes, I use a paper plate. For plugs and ropes, I use a cutting board used only for tobacco to cut it then transfer to a paper plate. Where I live, it's not uncommon for the humidity to be upwards of 100%. The paper plate helps the tobacco to dry.
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Johnny wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:07 pm Where I live, it's not uncommon for the humidity to be upwards of 100%.
Usually people just say "it rains here a lot" :)

Nerdy sidetrack - It's not really possible for outside, atmospheric air to be above 100% humidity as this literally means that the air has reached maximum water vapor content without it condensing into droplets. Go beyond that threshold and the water condenses and falls.. rain. It never actually exceeds 100% because rain causes the water vapor levels to drop, thus maintaining equilibrium. It is possible to go beyond 100% RH, but only in lab environments that are completely devoid of particulate.. basically totally pure air. :ugeek:

Back to your normal tobacco platter scheduled program..
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Johnny
Member in Good Standing

houtenziel wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:36 pm
Johnny wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:07 pm Where I live, it's not uncommon for the humidity to be upwards of 100%.

Nerdy sidetrack - It's not really possible for outside, atmospheric air to be above 100% humidity as this literally means that the air has reached maximum water vapor content without it condensing into droplets. Go beyond that threshold and the water condenses and falls.. rain. It never actually exceeds 100% because rain causes the water vapor levels to drop, thus maintaining equilibrium. It is possible to go beyond 100% RH, but only in lab environments that are completely devoid of particulate.. basically totally pure air. :ugeek:

I guess I should have said that the humidity here is usually between 75 and 100% :lol:
John

I ended up finding this dish at the thrift store. The corners make it easy to pour my spilled tobacco back into the pipe or jar.

Peacock

Fr_Tom wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:12 pm I use the palm of my hand if I am not loading from a pouch or a pound bag.
Me Three.

I also have been known to take a weeks worth of tobacco that I am diggin' and put it in a ziplock so I can codger scoop. Particularly if it's tobacco that needs any dry time.
I also have a scrap of leather but am always on the lookout for a cool old plate.

Question: is there a general rule of thumb I can abide by to understand when my tobacco is properly dry?
“Nowhere in the world will such a brotherly feeling of confidence be experienced as amongst those who sit together smoking their pipes.”
- The Results and Merits of Tobacco, 1844, Doctor Barnstein
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

OfPipeAndPen wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:48 pm
Fr_Tom wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:12 pm I use the palm of my hand if I am not loading from a pouch or a pound bag.
Me Three.

I also have a scrap of leather but am always on the lookout for a cool old plate.

Question: is there a general rule of thumb I can abide by to understand when my tobacco is properly dry?
You may get some folks that say otherwise but in my opinion it's another area of pipe smoking where "if it works for you" is the best guideline to follow. Different blends work different for everyone at various moisture levels. Some things are great at tin moisture, others are great when crispy but with taste being subjective that depends entirely on you
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
arturo7
Member in Good Standing

I have a old and ugly plate.

It is the surviving member of a set that I picked up used many, many moons ago. No telling how old it is or how many meals have been eaten off of it. It broke about a while ago but I couldn't bring myself to toss it.

I had a bright idea to use it as a tobacco plate a couple months ago. I glued it together with silicone. There are a couple chips missing, but who cares?

I'm happy that it is a productive member of society again.
ever forward
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Johnny wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:39 pm
houtenziel wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:36 pm

I guess I should have said that the humidity here is usually between 75 and 100% :lol:
There is always "a heck of a lot and more than you" humidity too. That removes the need for numbers.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017