Butane lighter question(s)

Fr_Tom
Chaplain

I have a Rockwell lighter someone gave me. I am totally unfamiliar with butane lighters.

I got a can of butane and found some instructions to refill.

Questions:

1. How critical is it to "bleed" it empty before refilling?
2. The instructions all say to turn the flame height to 0 before refilling. Is that important for success?

I think I am doing something wrong. The "fill" window only seems to display about 1/4 full.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
9 Iron
Founding Member

What I’ve always done when a lighter is acting up:

Turn lighter upside down and use a pen or tamper to depress the fill valve which releases air and gas . Shake lighter a bit, press on valve a couple more times after it seems empty just to be sure. Lower flame adjust level near low, refill lighter, let it set a minute, light and readjust flame level.

This usually fixed everything. Fwiw, don’t usually have to do this often, usually just give 5 seconds of fill from the butane can and be on my way.
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

9 Iron wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:46 am What I’ve always done when a lighter is acting up:

Turn lighter upside down and use a pen or tamper to depress the fill valve which releases air and gas . Shake lighter a bit, press on valve a couple more times after it seems empty just to be sure. Lower flame adjust level near low, refill lighter, let it set a minute, light and readjust flame level.

This usually fixed everything. Fwiw, don’t usually have to do this often, usually just give 5 seconds of fill from the butane can and be on my way.
This bleeding business first is something I have not tried. The next time it runs out I will try the pen thing to get it completely empty.

Old Ted Award - 2017
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Fr_Tom wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:17 am
9 Iron wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:46 am What I’ve always done when a lighter is acting up:

This bleeding business first is something I have not tried. The next time it runs out I will try the pen thing to get it completely empty.
Bleeding is a necessary evil for butane lighters. I do the same as above every time I fill mine, except I turn my lighter right side up and then depress the valve to release the gas & air. I think if you leave it upside down to bleed it only releases the excess air pressure (I'm no expert, could be 100% wrong)
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Islayphile
Member in Good Standing

Try the bleeding bit for sure.

Do NOT shake the can of butane.
slowroll
Founding Member

Yeah, the bleeding process is necessary quite often. Butane lighters can be a pain. That's why I stay with my Zippo.
www.custompipestems.com ...pipestems and pipes designed and created
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Bleeding is useful for removing all the moisture buildup in the tank that can clog the nozzle.. Lowering the flame height reduces the chance of a freshly filled lighter from burning your face off on the first light.
The Troll Whisperer
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

OK - I picked up a fresh can of butane while I was out. The Rockwell was a hand-me-down gift from a man at church, so it stays on the desk there. It is currently working, but the window says it is just partially full. I will run that one dry and then bleed and refill. I also have a souvenir butane lighter from Australia that my daughter brought back for me, and I have never been able to successfully fill it once it ran out. I tried the bleeding and the 5 second refill. It now works.

Living dangerously, I did not adjust the flame height and held it away from my face when trying it. It lit as it normally would - no flame thrower.

Old Ted Award - 2017
vwdeano

Great stuff. I recently picked up a butane lighter for myself. I like it, and it darn sure is better at "keeping" fuel than my zippo (which I love, but I just don't smoke often enough). Thanks for all the input, fellas. glad to hear some suggestions even if it wasn't my thread!
A dog is the only thing that loves you more than he loves himself.
MeerCat

I bleed mine when it seems it doesn't take a full refill.

I'm DOT certified to inspect high pressure vessels. Butane and propane both boil at ambient pressure. If the pressure in a cylinder (including a butane lighter tank) gets above ambient pressure, less of the liquid fuel boils off into vapor. It's the vapor that burns in a lighter or grill, not the LP liquid. That makes the lighter or accessory using the LP or butane less efficient. That's one reason it's illegal to transport a 100lbs cylinder laying down ~ the liquid propane gets into the OPV and causes it to stick, defeating the safety purpose of the OPV.

By bleeding your LP cylinders or lighter when they are empty, you're lowering the internal pressure of the tank, so that more of your fuel boils off.

Not bleeding a pressurized cylinder is like drinking most of the pepsi out of the bottle and dumping out the last 1 inch in the bottom of the bottle.

The best way bleed a butane lighter is using a bamboo skewer or slim wooden stick so you don't damage or mar the little thin metal collar with a sharp metal tool.