The Pipe That Went To War

Wildcat
Codger in Training

ImageImage
I've got a thing for Willards. These 2 came to me from Dave Whitney some time ago. Dave coined the phrase The Pipe That Went To War in his book Old Briar.

These Willards were produced by Grabow during the Vietnam war era. Most were distributed to the military PX stores and sold along with a pouch of RJR's tobacco if I recall correctly. Some were also sold through other normal outlets. The pear shaped pipe however I'm 99% sure is a PX pipe due to the solid aluminum shank. The Zulu shaped pipe has typical Willard fills, while the pear is actually a nice piece of briar. Both have the softer stem Willards were produced with, but both are in really, really good shape, which isn't always the case with estate Willards. If you like history and you like pipes (duh!) these are for you.

$25.00 to your door or best offer (the pear alone is worth the price of admission.)

Just for giggles, here's a shot of my Willard collection which, has shrunk over the years. It includes my pride and joy, a 1930s era Rhodesian from before Grabow bought the name and the line of pipes. Grabow purchased Willard for the Adjustomatic patent! You'll notice side and top dots in this pic. Another story for another time.

Thanks for looking!
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom
Wildcat
Codger in Training

Chef Benny
Codger in Training

@Wildcat
Check this out..

The original patent drawings for the adjustimatic...

~ Tobacco is part of a complete breakfast.
Wildcat
Codger in Training

Chef Benny wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:53 am @Wildcat
Check this out..

The original patent drawings for the adjustimatic...

The best non-gimmick, pipe gimmick, ever!!!
Thanks@Chef Benny !