What Hand Made Cigar Are You Smoking Today? WHMCAYST™

Thelonious monkfish
Codger in Training

houtenziel wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:46 pm
Thelonious monkfish wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:21 pm
MikeDennison wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:40 pm
Being new to cigars, the milder sticks are more appealing to me at this point. That HC White was really enjoyable, and even Dear Sweetie found it "unobjectionable". :D
I haven't really smoked but the occasional cigar since the 90's when they were cheap enough to pick up regularly, and it was generally something robust, but I did have a thing for the Ashton Corona with shade grown Connecticut leaf. Can imagine you would quite enjoy it but I couldn't say what they cost now.
Most of Ashton's stuff is about $9-10 a stick. Not exactly economical anymore.

I generally go for the more full flavored varieties myself, especially if I am dropping that sort of coin. My favorites being Tatuaje Havana VI Verocu, Leaf by Oscar Maduro, Don Pepin Blue, and Oliva Serie O Maduro.
To me, Maduro wrapper has flavor that reminds me of a cross between rich burley and strong espresso.
I just won't drop that sort of coin, if I'm spending 10-15 bucks on a little bit of tobacco I'd rather it be 3P's or Brown Bogie, etc, something I can enjoy repeatedly before finishing. I like Maduro too, I like Dark Plug more, especially considering the price difference. 500g of that, any blend really, will last longer than 3-5 cigars.
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Thelonious monkfish wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:55 pm
houtenziel wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:46 pm
Thelonious monkfish wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:21 pm

I haven't really smoked but the occasional cigar since the 90's when they were cheap enough to pick up regularly, and it was generally something robust, but I did have a thing for the Ashton Corona with shade grown Connecticut leaf. Can imagine you would quite enjoy it but I couldn't say what they cost now.
Most of Ashton's stuff is about $9-10 a stick. Not exactly economical anymore.

I generally go for the more full flavored varieties myself, especially if I am dropping that sort of coin. My favorites being Tatuaje Havana VI Verocu, Leaf by Oscar Maduro, Don Pepin Blue, and Oliva Serie O Maduro.
To me, Maduro wrapper has flavor that reminds me of a cross between rich burley and strong espresso.
I just won't drop that sort of coin, if I'm spending 10-15 bucks on a little bit of tobacco I'd rather it be 3P's or Brown Bogie, etc, something I can enjoy repeatedly before finishing. I like Maduro too, I like Dark Plug more, especially considering the price difference. 500g of that, any blend really, will last longer than 3-5 cigars.
Yep.. you are preachin' to the choir my friend. If cigars were still cheap, then I would probably smoke them more often. I still much prefer the flavor profiles of pipe, and it is probably the most economical tobacco product out there, so it's a win-win :)
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

houtenziel wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:15 pm
MikeDennison wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:23 pm
houtenziel wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:20 pm

Here are some mild ones to consider, if you haven't already tried them.
Macanudo Cafe
5 Vegas Gold
Oliva Connecticut
Flor de Oliva
Davidoff Dominican
And if you are willing to drop the change on them, I find Cohiba Red Dots to be quite mild.
Thanks, brother! Hey... question for ya. Last night I tried a Brocatus that I could barely draw. Wound up tossing it. Is there something to do for that?
Could be for a few reasons, but usually for me it's because the cigar is too dry. When handmades dry, the wrapper and binders tend to contract around the filler and the result is what you call a plugged cigar. Now, it's entirely possible for a cigar to just be rolled too tight - that has happened to me more than once - but in most cases it's a humidity issue.
So I guess my first question should be: How are you storing them?

I have seen some attempts at salvaging a plugged cigar by sticking a thin pointy object an inch or two in through the cut end.. this is risky though, and could cause the cigar to split down the side, and I have yet to have it save a cigar for me.
I'm storing them in a couple of acrylic jars that seal very tightly, each jar having a humidifier pack I purchased attached to the underside of the jar. I think it's supposed to last a couple of months of you open the jar a lot, which I don't.
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

MikeDennison wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:22 pm I'm storing them in a couple of acrylic jars that seal very tightly, each jar having a humidifier pack I purchased attached to the underside of the jar. I think it's supposed to last a couple of months of you open the jar a lot, which I don't.
That should do just fine. Must have just been a dud. They do happen from time to time, and it's always a bummer. It's actually one of the reasons I won't smoke any Rocky Patels.. I know a lot of people rant and rave, love the heck out of his stuff.. but I had 3 plugged from 3 different lines of his. I've never had that sort of "luck" with any other brand. One thing I forgot to mention - a couple times I have run into a cigar I thought was plugged, and cutting a little further up on the cap has fixed the problem.

Something worth mentioning - those little humidifier discs work ok, but they aren't very consistent in where they hold humidity. Boveda packs are really the way to go, and that is what I use. If you live in a humid climate, then I'd go with a 68%, if you live in a dry climate, I'd probably store closer to something like 72%. It's not really that necessary to be exact, but Boveda packs just make it totally brainless(and they last for ages in a sealed container).
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

houtenziel wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:31 pm
MikeDennison wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:22 pm I'm storing them in a couple of acrylic jars that seal very tightly, each jar having a humidifier pack I purchased attached to the underside of the jar. I think it's supposed to last a couple of months of you open the jar a lot, which I don't.
That should do just fine. Must have just been a dud. They do happen from time to time, and it's always a bummer. It's actually one of the reasons I won't smoke any Rocky Patels.. I know a lot of people rant and rave, love the heck out of his stuff.. but I had 3 plugged from 3 different lines of his. I've never had that sort of "luck" with any other brand. One thing I forgot to mention - a couple times I have run into a cigar I thought was plugged, and cutting a little further up on the cap has fixed the problem.

Something worth mentioning - those little humidifier discs work ok, but they aren't very consistent in where they hold humidity. Boveda packs are really the way to go, and that is what I use. If you live in a humid climate, then I'd go with a 68%, if you live in a dry climate, I'd probably store closer to something like 72%. It's not really that necessary to be exact, but Boveda packs just make it totally brainless(and they last for ages in a sealed container).
That's what I've got...Boveda packs.
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
steamboat

Smoking a Punch Churchill, while listening to the El Chapo case, hoping he gets acquitted. What can i say, i always go for the underdog.

MikeDennison
Certified Codger

An HC White and a glass o' cab.
Whistlebritches

Last night...…..LFD LaNox Petite and Four Roses Single Barrel,damn fine togetherImage
Johnny
Member in Good Standing

Pretty much never smoke cigars but need to raise the heel of a couple Grabows. Having an Arturo Fuente Curly Head. It's not too bad. 8-)
oldbill
Member in Good Standing

Yesterday I fired up a favorite of mine for many years, I received an order from Famous Cigars which included some La Gloria Cubana Wavells. These have an interesting and unique aroma that reminds me of honey though I doubt that there is any used. Great cigar! ;)
... and you can put that in your pipe and smoke it!!!