Hygrometer

Riff89

I was fortunate to get a small humidor given to me about a week ago it wasn’t brand new and it has a cheap hygrometer that I’m not 100% certain is very accurate. I did the salt and distilled water test to see how bad it was and it was only a percentage point or two off (on the low side). I still don’t trust it and Decided I would check Amazon for a replacement and a hydration device of some sorts. The trouble is every single hygrometer listed had bad reviews in regards to accuracy. I’m not a cigar guy but it would be nice to keep some sticks around because we don’t have a B&M that carries cigars nearby anymore.
I am not looking to store $20 a stick stogies but the last time I bought a handful of cigars and tried the tupperdor sponge storage method I had terrible results and ended up having to toss them. Any help would be appreciated. Side note I would prefer to keep them in my man cave in the basement so that they don’t get fiddled with by my two sons who love to snoop and already have a fascination with my pipes. It’s 62-65 down there roughly which is comfortable for me but I don’t know if the humidor will be able to maintain humidity. Any help would be appreciated Im looking for practical solutions on the cheap. Thanks gentlemen
Jlando19

I wish I knew more about this subject. I got a travel herfador set up that's airtight and just threw a large humismart packet in there. It seems to be working fine and they come with a little card that has a spot on it that changes colors so you know when to swap it out. The whole temp/humidity balance thing sounds challenging depending on where you live and keep your cigars for sure though. Good luck figuring it out!
"Good enough" is a false idol. Beware those that preach its virtue.
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

So, I also went through this with my tupperdor. The solution ended up being using the snapware containers with boveda packs. I personally liked the 68% packs, as I found the 72% most often used/recommended left my sticks a little too damp in a sealed environment. I also used this hygrometer, and it worked out great for me.
https://www.amazon.com/Cigar-Oasis-Cali ... 545&sr=8-6

I also got some spanish cedar sheets from old cigar boxes(guy at the cigar shop just gave me a bunch for free), to help keep things even and deter beetles.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Houtenziel wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:47 am So, I also went through this with my tupperdor. The solution ended up being using the snapware containers with boveda packs. I personally liked the 68% packs, as I found the 72% most often used/recommended left my sticks a little too damp in a sealed environment. I also used this hygrometer, and it worked out great for me.
https://www.amazon.com/Cigar-Oasis-Cali ... 545&sr=8-6

I also got some spanish cedar sheets from old cigar boxes(guy at the cigar shop just gave me a bunch for free), to help keep things even and deter beetles.

Once every so often , when the Spanish cedar could use a Spanish fly ( for scent ) ... sand the cedar with a light grit . Anywhere between 220 to 400 . You can go over it with a lightly damp cloth . It will " perk " the cedar up
It's not something that needs to be done often
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Riff89

So I ordered a four pack of digital hygrometers and a humicare HX10 humidifier and I’m up to around 70% rh in the humidor. Come to find out the humicare beads are just orbeez lol. My kid has them they are fun to play with and they seem to work well to humidify cigars. I used distilled water to hydrate them and they seem to work well. The hygrometer was an inexpensive set of four I ordered, I did the salt test on them and chose the closest of the four which was only off by one percentage point (close enough for this guy). I used the others to monitor the humidity around the house. I built a diy lint trap heat recycler for my clothes dryer instead of venting my dryer outside and wasting all that heat that it puts off (it’s electric not gas no worries) so far the humidity in my basement hasn’t gotten out of control too bad I have fans blowing the humidity and heat up the stairs I’m a cheap bastard and spent years griping about the heat going outside when it could be put to better use in the house. It’s a win win really as during the winter months the air in my house is usually super dry.
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

I am tellin' you.. those boveda packs are really the way to go. They worth in both directions, pulling humidity out when it gets too humid and adding it when it is too dry. After messing about with a whole bunch of different products, I finally tried them, and they were so consistent I didn't even need the hygrometer. If the Humicare ends up not keeping up, do yourself a favor and try them out.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Riff89

Houtenziel wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:46 pm I am tellin' you.. those boveda packs are really the way to go. They worth in both directions, pulling humidity out when it gets too humid and adding it when it is too dry. After messing about with a whole bunch of different products, I finally tried them, and they were so consistent I didn't even need the hygrometer. If the Humicare ends up not keeping up, do yourself a favor and try them out.
My next tobacco order I will throw a few in. I think that these both work off the same principle not certain I’m not a scientist lol. I do have a boveda 69% somewhere