Ghosts of the Past

Lostdog5152
Member in Good Standing

I just opened the box pass today and one of the first things I noticed was five beautiful Ghurka cigars packaged together and lying there in all their delectable splendor. I quit cigars years ago due to complaints from my wife and family members about them stinking up the house and furniture. She was right I suppose, but I just can't trot outside every time I want a cigar. Takes the pleasure out of it somehow. So I quit cold turkey and smoke my pipe inside. I smoked Ibold Black Petes almost exclusively in numbers that would be hard to calculate. They don't make them anymore. I have never had a premium cigar of any kind that I remember. Checking the prices online I guess I never will, being on a fixed income since I retired. This spring I am fixing up a new shed for a workshop and it will include an easy chair and a radio. My question of the good cigar smoking members of this forum is this: Is there any cheap cigar, preferably similar to an Ibold Black Pete, that I can buy without getting a second mortgage on my home. If there is, I sure can't find one. I would like a full size cigar and the shape does not much matter. Maybe I am looking for the unobtainable these days, but hey, what the heck, its worth a shot.
Jlando19

Man when you get your space set up I will gladly send you a handful of premium sticks. Let me know. I would be honored.
"Good enough" is a false idol. Beware those that preach its virtue.
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Lostdog5152 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:39 pm ....My question of the good cigar smoking members of this forum is this: Is there any cheap cigar, preferably similar to an Ibold Black Pete, that I can buy without getting a second mortgage on my home. If there is, I sure can't find one. I would like a full size cigar and the shape does not much matter. Maybe I am looking for the unobtainable these days, but hey, what the heck, its worth a shot.

I have been enjoying Finck Texas Smokers, off brand Lieberman-rolled hand/machine-mades. They are worth the price. They don't taste like Ibold Black Petes, but what does, nowadays? For the same price point, you'll be happy. Finck stays in business for a reason---they offer good cigars, good service, and there is nothing pretentious about them----exactly what you want from a Black Pete or one of the other old-time brands that are out of business.

http://www.finckcigarcompany.com/produc ... s_smokers/.

Not only are these Texas Smokers ridiculously cheap, they are ridiculously good. I am smoking them more than I smoke my pipes!
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Jlando19 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:17 pm Man when you get your space set up I will gladly send you a handful of premium sticks. Let me know. I would be honored.
like wise :awesome:

Lostdog5152 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:39 pm I just opened the box pass today and one of the first things I noticed was five beautiful Ghurka cigars packaged together and lying there in all their delectable splendor. I quit cigars years ago due to complaints from my wife and family members about them stinking up the house and furniture. She was right I suppose, but I just can't trot outside every time I want a cigar. Takes the pleasure out of it somehow. So I quit cold turkey and smoke my pipe inside. I smoked Ibold Black Petes almost exclusively in numbers that would be hard to calculate. They don't make them anymore. I have never had a premium cigar of any kind that I remember. Checking the prices online I guess I never will, being on a fixed income since I retired. This spring I am fixing up a new shed for a workshop and it will include an easy chair and a radio. My question of the good cigar smoking members of this forum is this: Is there any cheap cigar, preferably similar to an Ibold Black Pete, that I can buy without getting a second mortgage on my home. If there is, I sure can't find one. I would like a full size cigar and the shape does not much matter. Maybe I am looking for the unobtainable these days, but hey, what the heck, its worth a shot.
How cool . You are the only person online that I can recall , other than myself , that was a Black Pete freak [ enjoyer ] . I miss National Cigar . There were a number I liked

The black Petes werent too big . I though they were a killer " time frame " smoke . Not too long or too short

Ya know , Im putting together an order at an etailer over the next week . I want a bundle of Casa Garcia Connecticut Robustos , theyre nice . I'm gonna look see if they have that cigar in maduro . If so , Ill snag some to try . I dont know how similar they'd be to a Black Pete but they might be good and they would fit the price point you might be after . Ill send you each to try when I get them along with some other stuff :thumbs:
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Lostdog5152
Member in Good Standing

That is a generous gesture indeed Mr. Mayor! I am going to be buying some smokes soon and am totally at a loss as where to begin. A lot has changed since I was merrily burning Black Petes by the boatload. First requirement is they have to be in a low price range. I can smoke about anything as long as I can get some sort of pleasure from it. I wouldn't know what a premium cigar was if it bit me. As long as they taste decent enough I am happy as a pig in mud. Sometimes ignorance really can be bliss.
Lostdog5152
Member in Good Standing

Citizen B wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:24 pm
Lostdog5152 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:39 pm ....My question of the good cigar smoking members of this forum is this: Is there any cheap cigar, preferably similar to an Ibold Black Pete, that I can buy without getting a second mortgage on my home. If there is, I sure can't find one. I would like a full size cigar and the shape does not much matter. Maybe I am looking for the unobtainable these days, but hey, what the heck, its worth a shot.

I have been enjoying Finck Texas Smokers, off brand Lieberman-rolled hand/machine-mades. They are worth the price. They don't taste like Ibold Black Petes, but what does, nowadays? For the same price point, you'll be happy. Finck stays in business for a reason---they offer good cigars, good service, and there is nothing pretentious about them----exactly what you want from a Black Pete or one of the other old-time brands that are out of business.

http://www.finckcigarcompany.com/produc ... s_smokers/.

Not only are these Texas Smokers ridiculously cheap, they are ridiculously good. I am smoking them more than I smoke my pipes!
Now this looks interesting. Affordable and tasty too? Got to be a rare combination. There is a five pack of Travis Club Straights....Finck Cigar Company...in the box pass. Have you tried those? They are in real jepordy right now.
Jlando19

Ruffinogold wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:17 pm
Jlando19 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:17 pm Man when you get your space set up I will gladly send you a handful of premium sticks. Let me know. I would be honored.
like wise :awesome:

Lostdog5152 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:39 pm I just opened the box pass today and one of the first things I noticed was five beautiful Ghurka cigars packaged together and lying there in all their delectable splendor. I quit cigars years ago due to complaints from my wife and family members about them stinking up the house and furniture. She was right I suppose, but I just can't trot outside every time I want a cigar. Takes the pleasure out of it somehow. So I quit cold turkey and smoke my pipe inside. I smoked Ibold Black Petes almost exclusively in numbers that would be hard to calculate. They don't make them anymore. I have never had a premium cigar of any kind that I remember. Checking the prices online I guess I never will, being on a fixed income since I retired. This spring I am fixing up a new shed for a workshop and it will include an easy chair and a radio. My question of the good cigar smoking members of this forum is this: Is there any cheap cigar, preferably similar to an Ibold Black Pete, that I can buy without getting a second mortgage on my home. If there is, I sure can't find one. I would like a full size cigar and the shape does not much matter. Maybe I am looking for the unobtainable these days, but hey, what the heck, its worth a shot.
How cool . You are the only person online that I can recall , other than myself , that was a Black Pete freak [ enjoyer ] . I miss National Cigar . There were a number I liked

The black Petes werent too big . I though they were a killer " time frame " smoke . Not too long or too short

Ya know , Im putting together an order at an etailer over the next week . I want a bundle of Casa Garcia Connecticut Robustos , theyre nice . I'm gonna look see if they have that cigar in maduro . If so , Ill snag some to try . I dont know how similar they'd be to a Black Pete but they might be good and they would fit the price point you might be after . Ill send you each to try when I get them along with some other stuff :thumbs:
Those Casa Garcias come in a variant with a Sumatra wrapper that caught my eye. I've had a few cigars with that type of wrapper and dug them!
"Good enough" is a false idol. Beware those that preach its virtue.
Lostdog5152
Member in Good Standing

Ordered me some Texas Smokers from Fink Cigar. Promptly sent Dr UhaHa a thanks for the suggestion when it was Citizen B who actually brought my attention to them. Well, thank you CitizenB and thanks anyway DrUhaha. I think these will work out fine even if I couldn't get them in a Maduro wrapper. What do I know about wrappers anyway? Got my easychair set up in the shed with a lighter and ashtray on the table and a clear view of the mailbox. The other stuff can wait.