Cutters

mrpipster
Solid Citizen

What style do you use?
I use a cheapie plastic guillotine style.
I am looking for an all metal style on ebay right now though.
"Fear is the Mother of Morality." Friedrich Nietzsche
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

I just poke the end of the cigar with a golf tee.
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
mrpipster
Solid Citizen

Well I guess that works also.
Whalehead King

I'm a big fan of the wedge cutter, what some call the V-cutter. It's like a guillotine but it has a v-shaped blade that cuts a thin wedge the length of the, sorry for this analogy, penis-shaped tip of the cigar. It makes a slit. You know what it looks like when the cutter has done its work. I'm not trying to be gross, juvenile, or Freudian, here, I'm just trying to explain as simply as possible what this cutter does. I'm blushing while I type this. :oops:

I find this a much better cutter than the guillotine because it never cuts too much. You don't need to think about it. You put the cigar in the guillotine-type device and it snips just enough to give you a good draw. If you want more, just turn the cigar a few degrees and snip again and make the sign of the cross. You'll never go wrong with that. I am not blushing while I type this. :king:

I used to be a big fan of the cigar punch, and I'll still use mine occasionally, but the wedge cutter is better.

Yes, you can use a golf tee or the aerator spike of your pipe too, or a nail, to punch a hole, but much of the joy of smoking comes from rituals built around specialized equipment. The punch method sometimes needs a little fiddling and finesse and repeat attempts to get a good draw. I've never found that with the wedge cutter. A wedge cut, or a v-cut if you prefer, always gives a good draw somewhere along its length. If I want to use a golf tee, I'll go golfing. If I want to use a punch, I'll get into the boxing ring. If I want to smoke a cigar, I'll use a cutter. The cutter I prefer is the wedge cutter. Like you, I find the regular issue guillotine cutter sometimes problematic, especially with wide gauge cigars. The wedge cutter is an improvement. It's a guillotine improved almost to the point of perfection until something better comes along.

You can always bite the end off, Eastwood-style, and spit the butt end into a handy spittoon. We're civilized gents though. I think the wedge cutter is best. YMMV. It's the most specialized piece I have in my smoking kit. It's not good for anything else.
mrpipster
Solid Citizen

Never tried one of those.
I just bought a nice regular guillotine cutter on ebay though.
sisyphus
Person of Interest

Palio. I had a similar Xikar I liked, but the blade jammed pretty quick. Palios have a lifetime warranty and would cut your finger off. You get perfect cuts with a Palio, just enough to take off a dime sized piece of the cap and leave everything else intact. $22 on Amazon and the best cutter you'll ever own.
I hope our names are touching on the watch list
9 Iron
Founding Member

Palio here too. I’ve had mine for years and it’s still sharp and works perfectly.

I do like a center-punch cutter. That is, I like a perfect little plug hole taken from the center of the cap, leaving the cap intact. I like the draw and the fact that pieces of the cap don’t unravel. Unfortunately I’ve yet to come across a punch that stays sharp for very long. Usually after a short while they end up tearing the cap and then, well, what’s the point?
mrpipster
Solid Citizen

9 Iron wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:53 pm Palio here too. I’ve had mine for years and it’s still sharp and works perfectly.

I do like a center-punch cutter. That is, I like a perfect little plug hole taken from the center of the cap, leaving the cap intact. I like the draw and the fact that pieces of the cap don’t unravel. Unfortunately I’ve yet to come across a punch that stays sharp for very long. Usually after a short while they end up tearing the cap and then, well, what’s the point?
Yea I have a cheap punch also. I need to upgrade it.
John

I like the cutters from Cuban Crafters. They're good quality and prices are reasonable.

https://www.cubancrafters.com/cigar-cutter/
Islayphile
Member in Good Standing

Another Palio fan here. Once I tried one I never looked back.

My first has cut well over 2,000 cigars and is just as sharp as the day I got her.