What Hand Made Cigar Are You Smoking Today? WHMCAYST™

Piping Abe
Certified Codger

Citizen B wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:48 pm I finally burned through those five Mark Twains. Good riddance to bad handmade cigars. I am sure somebody likes them. Not me. That somebody is somebody who wouldn't know a good cigar if it was planted in his kisser.

Now, I am working my way through five Diesels. These are better.

I don't like having to take the band off the foot to light the cigar, I prefer to pull it off at the end, towards the head, so that I slip the band on a pretty girl ring finger. That said, I much prefer the flavor of Diesel cigars over Mark Twain cigars. I always have and I suspect I always will.

If you don't know what I am talking about, Diesel puts its band where you have to light the stick. That way, you know what brand you are smoking from the start.

Mark Twain, the man, would prefer Diesel cigars over Mark Twain cigars.

Never buy a box or bundle of Mark Twain cigars. Only purchase them as part of a sampler. They will be the weakest cigars in the bunch.

Diesel cigars are as robust and pungent as the opinions and prose of America's greatest humorist. Mark Twain cigars are like an Eddy Murphy movie remake.
Thanks for sharing. I’ve always wondered about them. Have you tried the General Grant Cigars? Been curious about that too
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Piping Abe wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:00 pm Have you tried the General Grant Cigars? Been curious about that too
I was looking at the CI catalog today and the Gen. Grants were right in the middle. "Nothing is more American than red, white, and blue, and General Grant."

I shook my head.

I have talked about these cigars before on PSF. These are weak cigars. Good for wartime under fire when even hot oatmeal tastes like ribeye. For you and me, I will take a good cigar and a real steak. Hunger makes the best sauce but I am not hungry to ever again smoke another General Grant.

I am always looking for a bargain but I have learned that when brands start to invoke times gone by, waving the bloody shirt in this case, these are bad cigars. Mark Twain being case in point but there are other examples, especially in the machine-made lines.

Buy a box of General Grants and you will regret you have moths in your wallet. Spend your money elsewhere unless you enjoy a palette note of sour regret.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
ncrobb
Founding Member

H Upmann Special Seleccion New Yorker. My first Upman. It’s from a sampler pack. It came with a cedar tube around it. It has been in my humidor for weeks with the RH running at 69% on average. It’s hard to draw, doesn’t want to stay lit and now cracking. I worked with a guy years ago who raved on and on about H Upmann cigars. I hope this one is just a fluke. It’s rather disappointing.
“I’d like to ride the rodeo, but I got Brahma Fear.” - Jimmy Buffett
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

ncrobb wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 4:35 pm H Upmann Special Seleccion New Yorker. My first Upman. It’s from a sampler pack. It came with a cedar tube around it. It has been in my humidor for weeks with the RH running at 69% on average. It’s hard to draw, doesn’t want to stay lit and now cracking. I worked with a guy years ago who raved on and on about H Upmann cigars. I hope this one is just a fluke. It’s rather disappointing.
Is this the only Upmann you have on hand? A sample size of one?

These are pricey cigars so I also only have a sample size of one.

A fat man felt bad about breaking my chair so he gifted me with an H. Upmann Banker. I liked it. This was a few years ago so my memory may be hazy, or it may have been the taste of just deserts that made me like this cigar. My Kingometer is inclined to like Upmann.

I would be interested if you are going to smoke another or if there was only one Upmann in your sampler.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
ncrobb
Founding Member

Citizen B wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 4:44 pm
ncrobb wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 4:35 pm H Upmann Special Seleccion New Yorker. My first Upman. It’s from a sampler pack. It came with a cedar tube around it. It has been in my humidor for weeks with the RH running at 69% on average. It’s hard to draw, doesn’t want to stay lit and now cracking. I worked with a guy years ago who raved on and on about H Upmann cigars. I hope this one is just a fluke. It’s rather disappointing.
Is this the only Upmann you have on hand? A sample size of one?

These are pricey cigars so I also only have a sample size of one.

A fat man felt bad about breaking my chair so he gifted me with an H. Upmann Banker. I liked it. This was a few years ago so my memory may be hazy, or it may have been the taste of just deserts that made me like this cigar. My Kingometer is inclined to like Upmann.

I would be interested if you are going to smoke another or if there was only one Upmann in your sampler.
This is the lone H Upmann in the sampler. With about 2-1/2” left the draw came around and it was a great smoke. Very good taste and burn but it looked like one of those comedy skit cigars with a “cigarette load” that had exploded. The next time I’m in a B&M I may pick up a couple H Upmann’s. I do not believe my experience today is representative of the brand. If it was they wouldn’t hold as much popularity as they do.
“I’d like to ride the rodeo, but I got Brahma Fear.” - Jimmy Buffett
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Piping Abe wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:00 pm Have you tried the General Grant Cigars?
Has anyone else besides me tried General Grant Cigars?
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
colorduke

No,I've never tried General Grant cigars.Ialmost pulled the trigger a few times but got gun shy.Wooh I fell better now that I got that off my chest.Now my question is are they any good?
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Tried to smoke another J Fuego origen maduro yesterday. Draw was terrible so I punched through it with the tool multiple times and rolled it on my work table and that freed it up nicely. As soon as it was lit, the draw got horrible again and after a few puffs I tossed it in the solo stove for future bonfire burning. Thinking about cutting up the rest of them for cigar leaf to toss into this and that when the urge strikes
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Chef Benny
Codger in Training

Baccarat Toro
~ Tobacco is part of a complete breakfast.
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Having an aganorsa new Cuba corojo
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin