A Note for Google Chrome Users

sisyphus
Person of Interest

I heard my fan kick on tonight, which almost never happens. I pulled up a monitoring app and saw Chrome was using 75% cpu. So I messed with the site a bit, wondering what was broken in the new version that was making Chrome use so much cpu. I disabled each extension and monitored cpu usage with and without. That wasn't it. I disabled javascript bells and whistles on the page. That wasn't it. I disabled the spambot countermeasure. That wasn't it. Then I launched Safari and it rendered PSF at about 0.5% cpu.

I updated Chrome this morning, and something in the new version is making PSF, and presumably some other websites that you may land on, use an ungodly amount of cpu. Just a heads up. I am switching to Vivaldi til they fix it. I haven't had to do this for a couple of years, so usually Google is pretty good at tracking down and fixing these sort of problems. At that time however I did have to spend about half a year using other browsers, which I hated because Chrome has been my browser for so long that anything else feels a little off.

In the meantime, Chrome is not the only web browser in town, so Firefox, Vivaldi and Brave are options if you run into problems with Chrome being too cpu hungry and hot running until they sort out whatever is wrong.
I hope our names are touching on the watch list
sisyphus
Person of Interest

Vivaldi suffers from the same issue. Figures since it uses the same renderer.
sisyphus
Person of Interest

yeah Firefox and Safari both render the site without going crazy on system resources, but right now Google Chrome and browsers based on its engine go a little nuts. I am not worried about this being a problem with the site, because when I quit Chrome in the past it was because it did the same thing on Facebook. They eventually fixed whatever made it so resource hungry so I'm sure it's temporary.
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Heck , I i havent noticed , but im only ever on a Samsung tablet
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Middle Earth

Same here
Dr Uhaha
Member in Very Good Standing

'Smartphone' she made me buy. :x