The Art of Derailing a Thread.

Ronv69
Founding Member

What do you think about The Founding Myth?
God and Texas!
arturo7
Member in Good Standing

The art in this particular thread will be keeping it on topic.
ever forward
arturo7
Member in Good Standing

I think the best derailments/hijacks are those that are unintentional.

Example;

Someone starts a thread about smoking after dinner. A pic is added showing three people smoking pipes with plates still on the table.

Someone notices a plate with shrimp scampi and comments.

The OP confirms the dish is indeed shrimp scampi and adds that it was delicious.

Another comment is made opining that the table should have been cleared before lighting the pipes.

Someone else notices a can of Kraft Parmesan cheese on the table and trumpets that Kraft is an abomination and suggests that the OP's taste buds would be better served with fresh grated Parmesan.

Yet another poster insists that a proper Italian would never serve cheese with seafood. Someone else objects to this.

Then all of hell breaks loose. What follows is an 11 page blizzard of cheese, seafood, and Italians. Sides are drawn in the cheese vs no-cheese with seafood battle. Another discussion continues to chastise those who use Kraft. Half of the participants claim Italian heritage or at least growing up next to an Italian family. Four recipes for shrimp scampi are offered. Two posters claim to be allergic to shellfish. One of them posts a recipe for trout scampi. Suddenly, trout fishing is a hot topic. One poster, who doesn't put cheese on seafood and would never serve Kraft, insists that his oblong bobber, given to him by his grandfather who grew up in the Italian side of the Alps, is an essential tool for catching trout.

Eventually, the thread's momentum wanes. The Kraft users left in a huff. Italy was credited as a culinary treasure. Trout were praised. The OP agreed to clear the table before smoking in the future.

Six months later a noob posts on the thread and it all starts again...
ever forward
Dr Uhaha
Member in Very Good Standing

arturo7 wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:54 pm I think the best derailments/hijacks are those that are unintentional.

Example;

Someone starts a thread about smoking after dinner. A pic is added showing three people smoking pipes with plates still on the table.

The OP confirms the dish is indeed shrimp scampi and adds that it was delicious.

Another comment is made opining that the table should have been cleared before lighting the pipes.

Someone else notices a can of Kraft Parmesan cheese on the table and trumpets that Kraft is an abomination and suggests that the OP's taste buds would be better served with fresh grated Parmesan.

Yet another poster insists that a proper Italian would never serve cheese with seafood. Someone else objects to this.

Then all of hell breaks loose. What follows is an 11 page blizzard of cheese, seafood, and Italians. Sides are drawn in the cheese vs no-cheese with seafood battle. Another discussion continues to chastise those who use Kraft. Half of the participants claim Italian heritage or at least growing up next to an Italian family. Four recipes for shrimp scampi are offered. Two posters claim to be allergic to shellfish. One of them posts a recipe for trout scampi. Suddenly, trout fishing is a hot topic. One poster, who doesn't put cheese on seafood and would never serve Kraft, insists that his oblong bobber, given to him by his grandfather who grew up in the Italian side of the Alps, is an essential tool for catching trout.

Eventually, the thread's momentum wanes. The Kraft users left in a huff. Italy was credited as a culinary treasure. Trout were praised. The OP agreed to clear the table before smoking in the future.

Speaking of Italians. One if my favorites had to be Espera Oscar de Corti AKA Iron Eyes Cody:

He was a total fraud back before it was hip ala Rachel Dolezal/Hilaria Baldwin.
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Bamarick wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:39 pm Isn't derailing a thread the same thing as hijacking a thread. If it is, then I was under the impression that it was, or is, a time honored tradition :lol: :facepalm: :arrow:
Highjacking is changing the subject to talk about what you want to talk about instead of the subject at hand. The highjacked usually has an agenda and the highjacked uses a blunt instrument to talk about what he or she wants to talk about. Derailing is more about nudging the conversation in a different direction without taking any accountability for the sudden turn of events, and not particularly caring where the conversation eventually ends up.

A highjacker is a terrorist with an agenda. A derailer is a film flam artiste who's only pleasure is to cause mischief and waste other people's time.
Houtenziel wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:17 am I like turtles.

I love turtles.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

arturo7 wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:54 pm I think the best derailments/hijacks are those that are unintentional.

Example;

"The art in this particular thread will be keeping it on topic."

Thank you, Arturo. The voice of reason has spoken. A tip of my hat to you.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
arturo7
Member in Good Standing

Citizen B wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:47 pm
Thank you, Arturo. The voice of reason has spoken. A tip of my hat to you.
I should thank you for this generous compliment, but that would be off topic...
ever forward
Wildcat
Codger in Training

arturo7 wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:54 pm blizzard of cheese
So what you're saying is, DQ makes a cheese Blizzard? Get out?!!?!! Sounds Gouda!
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Somewhere, an Indian is crying.

You know what happens to showboaters in the boxing ring, dontcha?

We need a poll right about now.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Citizen B wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:20 pm Somewhere, an Indian is crying.

You know what happens to showboaters in the boxing ring, dontcha?

We need a poll right about now.
Watching a cocky bastid get layed out is a beautiful sight
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.