Suggestions Are Welcome!

simplepipes
Codger in Training

sisyphus wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:49 pm
simplepipes wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:39 pm Where can I make a contribution for forum expenses?

Thank you!

-sp
at this time we are not subsidizing my costs or efforts or the efforts of the moderation staff by accepting donations or displaying ads.

I doubt very much we will ever display ads. I've never been a fan of subjecting people to the nuisance.

As far as donations, as the site grows and in turn our hosting needs, we may at some future time allow members to contribute financially. I don't foresee it happening any time soon. If that day does come there would be an explanation about what our annual or monthly cost to keep the lights on was, and where the money goes.

Your offer is much appreciated and some day we may take you up on it, but for now the rent is paid in advance :D
Thank you but be certain to let me know if this should change.

I appreciate all of your dedication and efforts.

-sp
My vote has not been bought . . . I paid for my Undergraduate and Graduate Degrees . . .
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Id like to suggest that when we put @ in front of a members name , that they get tagged .

Ex: ... Hey , @houtenziel
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Ruffinogold wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:17 pm Id like to suggest that when we put @ in front of a members name , that they get tagged .

What's strange, is that on some posts I see the name highlighted in red when this is done. Other times when I've tried it, this doesn't happen. Seems like the functionality may be there, but just not fully enabled?
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Chock Chucker

A "How to" section would be awesome. Call it the Codger Corner or something...a place where the experienced guys can give advice to new smokers on pipes, cigars, hobbies...etc. An education section of sorts for those pesky questions that everyone should know, but sometimes forget.
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

houtenziel wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:14 pm
Ruffinogold wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:17 pm Id like to suggest that when we put @ in front of a members name , that they get tagged .

What's strange, is that on some posts I see the name highlighted in red when this is done. Other times when I've tried it, this doesn't happen. Seems like the functionality may be there, but just not fully enabled?
Just to follow up on this.. I noticed the other day that Fr_Tom managed to wrap a "mention" tag around my username and it notified me, and my name was highlighted red in his post. When I replied or tried to use the tag myself, I got this:

So it seems that the mention tag works, but some users don't have the right permissions to use them? I would really love to see this functionality, since everyone on the forum uses the @username mention already.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

houtenziel wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:36 pm
Just to follow up on this.. I noticed the other day that Fr_Tom managed to wrap a "mention" tag around my username and it notified me, and my name was highlighted red in his post. When I replied or tried to use the tag myself, I got this:

So it seems that the mention tag works, but some users don't have the right permissions to use them? I would really love to see this functionality, since everyone on the forum uses the @username mention already.
I am going to claim this is a security setting on your browser. Try it with a different browser.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Fr_Tom wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:15 pm
houtenziel wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:36 pm

I am going to claim this is a security setting on your browser. Try it with a different browser.

No it's definitely the forum. Here's what happens when I attempt to use them from a full editor post:

― Theodore Roosevelt
Thelonious monkfish
Codger in Training

Let me try....

Welll... nope

Same message as Hout...
Peacock

Same as above. Also a +1 for the mention feature
“Nowhere in the world will such a brotherly feeling of confidence be experienced as amongst those who sit together smoking their pipes.”
- The Results and Merits of Tobacco, 1844, Doctor Barnstein
CoreyR
Founding Member

We really need a section which give us tomorrows WINNING lottery numbers. That would be a big help. Thanks

...Hey, if I don't ask.....