"Elementary, my dear Watson..."

MikeDennison
Certified Codger

Mr Beardsley wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:34 pm I enjoy the old Sherlock flicks but the new ones are a good time with a home theater ;)
I enjoyed the BBC films with Benedict Cucumberpatch.
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

MikeDennison wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:47 pm
Mr Beardsley wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:34 pm I enjoy the old Sherlock flicks but the new ones are a good time with a home theater ;)
I enjoyed the BBC films with Benedict Cucumberpatch.
Same here. He strikes me as kind of an odd duck and plays the role very well
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Whalehead King

Should you ever find yourself in Connecticut, get yourself to Gillette Castle. William Gillette played Holmes on the stage long before there were movies. He's the one who introduced the deerstalker cap and many other things that all Holmes actors after him have imitated. His castle is a fascinating place.

The William Gillette Wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Gillette

The Gillette Castle State Park website: http://www.ctvisit.com/listings/gillett ... state-park

The Wikipedia page about Gillette Castle which has more information than the State's page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gillette_ ... State_Park

Go. It is totally worth it. Go to the Hadlyme Deli when you're in the area. Take the ferry across the Connecticut River. It's a fascinating and remote part of the state.
oldbill
Member in Good Standing

Rathbone has always been my favorite Holmes. ;)
... and you can put that in your pipe and smoke it!!!
Longshanks
Member in Good Standing

oldbill wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:04 pm Rathbone has always been my favorite Holmes. ;)
I'll +1 that. He has a pleasant way of letting someone know they were wrong. And I like that friendly way he let Watson feel like he'd helped Sherlock come to a conclusion, even though he'd come to that conclusion probably the day before. :lol:

I especially like how he made good pipe choices. Some actors in later years carried cumbersome churchwardens everywhere as a prop. It didn't make sense, so it was actually anti-Holmes.
Longshanks
"He who shall, so shall he... wait, who?" :?
Whalehead King

Longshanks wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:39 pm
oldbill wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:04 pm Rathbone has always been my favorite Holmes. ;)
I'll +1 that. He has a pleasant way of letting someone know they were wrong. And I like that friendly way he let Watson feel like he'd helped Sherlock come to a conclusion, even though he'd come to that conclusion probably the day before. :lol:

I especially like how he made good pipe choices. Some actors in later years carried cumbersome churchwardens everywhere as a prop. It didn't make sense, so it was actually anti-Holmes.
My mother wanted to name me Basil, after Basil Rathbone. My father put the kibosh on that.

Now I'm known as Whalehead. Quite the upgrade.
avid

Longshanks wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:39 pm

i like to see the look on dear Watson's face when Holmes is proven correct on a deduction, e.g. someone will walk through the door, and sure enough...
insufferable filter guy
Preacher1611
Member in Good Standing

Started watching the DVD's again last night, watched the first two on disc one: "The Hound Of The Baskervilles" and "The Adventures Of Sherlock Holmes". :awesome:
avid

Preacher1611 wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 8:09 am Started watching the DVD's again last night, watched the first two on disc one: "The Hound Of The Baskervilles" and "The Adventures Of Sherlock Holmes". :awesome:
cool
insufferable filter guy
arturo7
Member in Good Standing

I'm on a self imposed SH hiatus.

I'm hoping to forget all of the solutions.

It's better when you don't know the ending, right?
ever forward