The Garfield Pipe Strip (1978)

Wildcat
Codger in Training

Citizen B wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:46 pm
Wildcat wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:18 pm
Ruffinogold wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:07 pm i dont know what to say
Just say no. Nancy Reagan would.
Who doesn't like Garfield?

Have you ever read Garfield minus Garfield? Original strips with Garfield removed. Sad and tragic yet very funny, you will see Jon Arbuckle in a different light.

https://garfieldminusgarfield.net/page/370
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Wildcat wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:15 pm
Citizen B wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:46 pm
Wildcat wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:18 pm

Just say no. Nancy Reagan would.
Who doesn't like Garfield?

Have you ever read Garfield minus Garfield? Original strips with Garfield removed. Sad and tragic yet very funny, you will see Jon Arbuckle in a different light.

https://garfieldminusgarfield.net/page/370
The strip is funnier when it has Garfield. I used to read that site but I already have enough ennui in my life that I don't need to see it in the funny pages. When I'm reading a Garfield comic strip I want to see Garfield. Who doesn't like a chuckle? He's a funny cat.

One time, I was in a bar in Germany and this guy who said he was an artist and I started talking. He was telling me how much he loves to draw and how he goes to the hospital to draw pictures for the sick children. We're getting along fine talking about art in general, theory and whatnot, composition, the color wheel, gradations of crosshatching, that kind of stuff, and then he says, " I will draw you a picture, my new American friend."

So, he takes out his sketchbook and gets to drawing. I sipped my beer and watched a couple of bubbly fraulines at the other end of the bar until I heard my new German friend rip a page out of his sketch book.

"Here, my friend, I have made this for you." He said it solemnly as he handed the page to me, drawing side down.

It was a drawing of Garfield and it looked about as good as the one in this comic strip.

I said, "Danke schoen," and, after I left that spot, I tossed it in the nearest trash can.

I haven't thought about that night in ages. Thanks for triggering me.
Last edited by Citizen B on Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Wildcat
Codger in Training

Citizen B wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:00 pmThanks for triggering me.
Anything to help a friend.
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Wildcat wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:06 pm
That's a true story. I haven't thought about that night in ages. When he handed the picture to me I had to be all gracious for this magnanimous gesture from this guy who presents himself as some kind of draftsman maestro. Then I flipped the page over and it's a picture of Garfield standing and giving a thumbs-up. It was obviously an amateur job.

After I threw away the picture (and I still have no regrets after all these years about doing that) I got to thinking and really this is what this guy did for a living. HE TOLD ME HE WAS A PROFESSIONAL ARTIST. Then I took my finger off the CAPS lock. His job was to draw cartoon characters for sick children. No wonder he thought his drawings were great. Who ever would tell him otherwise? Sick children aren't exactly the kind of art critics I would trust in a Picasso exhibit, but, you know what? This guy was doing something good in the world. That must be a nice profession to be in and I am sure he was very good at it. I wasn't a sick child at the time so I couldn't appreciate his work in the spirit as it was intended.

Sometimes I think my life is stranger than fiction. I suppose most people must think that about their lives, too.

Who is Jon Arbuckle?
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
mrpipster
Solid Citizen

Citizen B wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:27 pm
Wildcat wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:06 pm
That's a true story. I haven't thought about that night in ages. When he handed the picture to me I had to be all gracious for this magnanimous gesture from this guy who presents himself as some kind of draftsman maestro. Then I flipped the page over and it's a picture of Garfield standing and giving a thumbs-up. It was obviously an amateur job.

After I threw away the picture (and I still have no regrets after all these years about doing that) I got to thinking and really this is what this guy did for a living. HE TOLD ME HE WAS A PROFESSIONAL ARTIST. Then I took my finger off the CAPS lock. His job was to draw cartoon characters for sick children. No wonder he thought his drawings were great. Who ever would tell him otherwise? Sick children aren't exactly the kind of art critics I would trust in a Picasso exhibit, but, you know what? This guy was doing something good in the world. That must be a nice profession to be in and I am sure he was very good at it. I wasn't a sick child at the time so I couldn't appreciate his work in the spirit as it was intended.

Sometimes I think my life is stranger than fiction. I suppose most people must think that about their lives, too.

Who is Jon Arbuckle?
Hes the dude in the comic.
"Fear is the Mother of Morality." Friedrich Nietzsche