Old Pipe and Tobacco Ads

Fr_Tom
Chaplain

My father did tell me that you could push regulation a little during the war.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
xrundog

Fr_Tom wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:43 pm My father did tell me that you could push regulation a little during the war.
Getting shot at will loosen the tightest ass I'm sure. I'd be much more concerned with how the guns looked than the sailors manning them.
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

xrundog wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:52 pm
Getting shot at will loosen the tightest ass I'm sure. I'd be much more concerned with how the guns looked than the sailors manning them.
That is about the size of it.

Old Ted Award - 2017
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Prince Albert wasn't the only advertising using the jimmy pipe message. Check this one out. More Image below the ad.

I heard one explanation of PA's use of jimmy pipe like this. When a poor smoking pipe is loaded with PA it becomes a jimmy pipe, because like a burglar's jimmy, PA opens up the previously unsatisfactorily smoking pipe, making it a great smoker, thus a "jimmy pipe". Or something like that. :lol:
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
xrundog

That's a pretty good explanation Kevin. That pipe looks interesting too. The description of the bowl material makes me want to try it.
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Fr_Tom wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:09 pm Here is a picture of my father smoking a cob in WWII.

I just noticed that his ship is making way...I never looked that close I guess. He's as cool as the center seed of a cucumber. :thumbs:
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

xrundog wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:08 pm The description of the bowl material makes me want to try it.
Me too, as long as "Meranto" isn't a trade name for asbestos! I haven't found out what it is yet Image
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
xrundog

Here's a gimmick pipe ad from 1917. I haven't seen any of these around anywhere. Can't see that it would have worked very well.

Fr_Tom
Chaplain

xrundog wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:59 pm Here's a gimmick pipe ad from 1917. I haven't seen any of these around anywhere. Can't see that it would have worked very well.

I still want one though. I am a sucker for the gimmick pipe.

Old Ted Award - 2017
Whalehead King

xrundog wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:59 pm Here's a gimmick pipe ad from 1917. I haven't seen any of these around anywhere. Can't see that it would have worked very well.

To smoke a Dreamland well, you needed a little imagination. I'm in. I don't think it's a good idea but I'd give it a whirl.