''Navel tickler''?

Boyntonsbenediction

Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:40 am

Has anyone encountered the informal name ''navel tickler'' for any type of pipe?

I'm enquiring because someone I know remembers that her father's pipe was known as a ''navel tickler'' in the family, and she wants to know what type of pipe it was.
This post by Boyntonsbenediction liked by:
Bruyere_Royale
houtenziel
Codger in Training

Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:02 pm

Boyntonsbenediction wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:40 am
Has anyone encountered the informal name ''navel tickler'' for any type of pipe?

I'm enquiring because someone I know remembers that her father's pipe was known as a ''navel tickler'' in the family, and she wants to know what type of pipe it was.
Welcome!

This sounds like it might be slang. I am almost afraid to try and search it out for you. :D
This post by houtenziel liked by (total 2):
Kevin KeithBruyere_Royale
houtenziel
Codger in Training

Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:13 pm

Best I could find is a reference to it:
Ticklers - Shredded or cut tobacco - also known as 'pusser's leaf' - issued to the old Navy in half-pound tins at duty free prices. The scale of issue was one pound per person per month, as cigarettes or pipe tobacco. When you went foreign, the issue was doubled. Cigarettes which were self rolled from this source also became known as 'ticklers'. The actual origin of the term is most interesting, because around 1904 jam preserves became official issue, and one of the main suppliers were Messrs. Ticklers. A new class of rating joining for only twelve years service was also created about this time; these men much preferred the shredded baccy to the tough periques of pipe tobacco smoked (or chewed) by the old salts, and they were themselves immediately and rather disdainfully labelled as Ticklers. The shredded tobacco could also be made up into 'tailor-mades', by a contractor with a cigarette making machine mounted on the back of his truck which came around the larger shore establishments. These cigarettes would incorporate the ship's crest in the paper, obviously the antecedents of 'blue liners'. Note also the term 'Jack-me-tickler' - a sailor who knows all the answers.
This post by houtenziel liked by (total 3):
Kevin KeithBruyere_RoyaleBoyntonsbenediction
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:19 pm

i think it is interesting that the rate of issue doubled when foreign. I like that 2 lbs a month rate. That seems about right.
This post by Fr_Tom liked by (total 3):
Mr BeardsleyhoutenzielBruyere_Royale
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Boyntonsbenediction

Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:58 pm

Have twice tried to post a reply thanking you, houtenziel, but it doesn't appear.

Third time lucky?

Edit: Yes!

You solved the mystery.
This post by Boyntonsbenediction liked by (total 2):
houtenzielWhalehead King