All In Color For A Dime

Wildcat
Codger in Training

Stole the thread title from an old book about comic books by Richard Lupoff. It was a book about comics from the Golden Age. Thought it might be a nice title for a new comic book thread to replace Ruffs, "Comics, Not The Stand Up Kind."

Any objections?

Here's a little something by Darwyn Cooke from his "DC:The New Frontier." Great series. I have the collected hardcover. Sadly Mr Cooke passed away too young. What a story teller, artist and writer.

This is Wildcat's alter ego, Heavy Weight Champion Ted "Wildcat" Grant defeating Cassius Clay.

Ok. Nerd out. Let me know if there's any interest. Thanks.
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom
Finster
Founding Member

Booyah! :D
mrpipster
Solid Citizen

Cool.
Yep I am a comic guy myself. Most of my single issue collection consists of two titles. Conan and Jonah Hex.
I am really getting back into Star Wars lately though. I am trying to read the new canon books in order by way of tpb's starting with the stories immediately following the Battle of Yavin.
What do you enjoy reading?
"Fear is the Mother of Morality." Friedrich Nietzsche
Wildcat
Codger in Training

Finster wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:37 pmBooyah! :D
Finstah!
Wildcat
Codger in Training

mrpipster wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:03 pm Cool.
Yep I am a comic guy myself. Most of my single issue collection consists of two titles. Conan and Jonah Hex.
I am really getting back into Star Wars lately though. I am trying to read the new canon books in order by way of tpb's starting with the stories immediately following the Battle of Yavin.
What do you enjoy reading?
I'll try this again, my first attempt failed somehow.

Jonah Hex is a favorite of mine, especially Michael Fleisher's Hex stories. His Spectre is a favorite too.

As for Star Wars, I did read Marvel's adaption back in the day (70s/80s) but not regularly. I lean more towards Star Trek. But they were good solid stories with good art. Gil Kane if I recall correctly. Are they canon??

The Conan novels are great reads. I liked the Marvel adaptions very much. BWS's art was and is always something special, but Buscema nailed it. Heck, what doesn't he get right?!! I remember really enjoying the King Conan series by Marvel. More Buscema goodness!
Wildcat
Codger in Training

@mrpipster, I dig TPBs too. Easy, affordable way to read and collect different runs.

Also, you asked me what I've been reading lately. Well I just recently won a near complete set if Marvel's ROM off eBay, including annuals. Only missing 8 regular issues, which I already have most of. I was too old for the toy, but the comic series caught my eye back when. Not a regular title for me, because money was tight as a kid and what I had was earmarked for other must reads. I'm enjoying it very much. From what I read on the internet, there is a film in the works. I hope so!!
sisyphus
Person of Interest

House of Mystery, House of Secrets, Swamp Thing. Jim Starlin's Capt. Marvel and Warlock really got me into the superhero genre. Then backtrack to anything Neal Adams and Denny O'Neill. Marshall Rogers run on Batman and Detective. Miller's Daredevil, anything Alan Moore, anything Matt Wagner, some Tim Truman. Lost interest around the mid 90s. They reboot stuff too often now. When I was growing up it was one continuity from the time I was born until I was in my 30s. Now they messed everything up.
I hope our names are touching on the watch list
sisyphus
Person of Interest

I am loving the Marvel movies though, even if the continuity isn't what I grew up with. Also the Netflix series are all great.
Wildcat
Codger in Training

sisyphus wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:53 pm House of Mystery, House of Secrets, Swamp Thing. Jim Starlin's Capt. Marvel and Warlock really got me into the superhero genre. Then backtrack to anything Neal Adams and Denny O'Neill. Marshall Rogers run on Batman and Detective. Miller's Daredevil, anything Alan Moore, anything Matt Wagner, some Tim Truman. Lost interest around the mid 90s. They reboot stuff too often now. When I was growing up it was one continuity from the time I was born until I was in my 30s. Now they messed everything up.
Woohoo! Some classic titles there bud! Matt Wagner and Tim Truman! Yes sir!

Dan Spiegel anyone??

Infinity Wars owes everything to Starlin. Thanos and the Infinity Stones (Gems back in the day) we're all his creations. Captain Marvel and Warlock we're/are great reads!

As for current comics, I no longer follow new stuff either. I follow current comic news from afar on CBR.com though. I read some current stuff if the mood strikes online if available for free.

Other than that I read and reread what's left of my collection (I sold half) and buy collections, reprints and trades when the mood strikes.
sisyphus
Person of Interest

I had a collection that spanned 9 comic boxes, from ww2 era to early 90s. It was in my old closet at my parent's house, and a pipe leak developed and ruined all but a 7" stack. Heartbreaking and I never bought another. I had a mint Amazing Spider Man first appearance of the shocker, everything Neal Adams ever did including covers, etc etc etc. I could cry now thinking about it.