Old Enough To Remember

Dr Uhaha
Member in Very Good Standing

1) There being no question as to whether pop would smoke in his chair, in his house.

2) Bomb drills at school to prepare us for the 'Reds.' Funny thing about this one is nobody explained who the 'Reds' were. I imagined them being something like little red men in red clothes.
Middle Earth

Older than that
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

I am still wet behind the ears, but..
1) Being the last generation to be taught History, Art, and Music in school - which it turns out were the only things I'd ever enjoy about school.
a) Being criticized / hollered at by a teacher without it turning into a statewide protest.
2) When Reeses Peanutbutter cups were actually good.
3) Baseball cards with gum in the pack, which was about as good as chewing on the cards.
a) When kids still did things like collect baseball cards
4) When getting someone's phone number involved paper and pencil.
a) When people used their brains enough that they could actually remember phone numbers.
5) When an American IPA still tasted like beer, and not like licking the electrodes on a 9v battery.

This is just informational.. but I feel compelled to tell all those zingy beer drinkers that the level hops used in these modern IPAs are bad juju. Hops are a powerful phytoestrogen - they have been used for a long time as a natural estrogen supplement for menopausal women. In some cases the amount of hop extractives in a single pint of IPA is about 600% over the recommended dose for menopause. There is a reason that there is a condition common to brewmasters called "Brewer's Droop"..
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

1. When bullies at school were dealt with by the bullied student thrashing them, rather than school-wide assemblies, meetings with principals, and hours of therapy.
2. When the kind of men seen in the recent film "Ford VS Ferrari" (strong, masculine, and capable) were the rule, rather than the exception. (At least, the kind who frequented our house)
3. When character mattered in your friends more than credit rating...thier politics...or thier social acceptability.

Hang on. I've gotta give my head a shake and get down off my high horse.

4. When there were still root beer lollipops.
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Dr Uhaha
Member in Very Good Standing

3) Don't remember ever being taught that someone else was responsible for my happiness, or that my purpose in life was to right historical wrongs everywhere. But, maybe I've just forgotten.
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

MikeDennison wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:47 am 4. When there were still root beer lollipops.
https://www.amazon.com/Dum-Dums-Root-Be ... 22&sr=8-1
Live the dream MD.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

Bro Uhaha wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:11 am 3) Don't remember ever being taught that someone else was responsible for my happiness, or that my purpose in life was to right historical wrongs everywhere. But, maybe I've just forgotten.
Good one.
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

houtenziel wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:13 am
MikeDennison wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:47 am 4. When there were still root beer lollipops.
Live the dream MD.
4. ... aaaaaaand didn't cost the best part of 20 bucks.
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

MikeDennison wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:16 am
Live the dream MD.
Just think of it as stocking your dumdum cellar.
― Theodore Roosevelt
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

houtenziel wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:17 am
MikeDennison wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:16 am

Live the dream MD.
Just think of it as stocking your dumdum cellar.
😂