Butterbean

Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

I've never heard of this guy until today. Where have I been? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Esch ... 7–present)

He's only a year younger than I am but I don't think I could take him on, even on a good day. He seems to have been more than one kind of champion. I have to respect that.

He's from Alabama. Sweet home. From what I've learned I believe his heart is in the right place, a law and order type.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

I liked Butterbean, but he was a distant third past Knucklehead Smiff and Jerry Mahoney. He made appearances on the Winchell-Mahoney Time. I remember him fondly.

After listening to the theme song clip I noticed my memory was faulty. Paul Winchell's snail was Jellybean. He could have been Butterbean, but he wasn't.
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Kevin Keith wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:04 pm I liked Butterbean, but he was a distant third past Knucklehead Smiff and Jerry Mahoney. He made appearances on the Winchell-Mahoney Time. I remember him fondly.

After listening to the theme song clip I noticed my memory was faulty. Paul Winchell's snail was Jellybean. He could have been Butterbean, but he wasn't.
Sometimes, I sing that song to myself while I walk the dog around our neighborhood. At least you didn't confuse Paul Winchell with Walter Winchell. Then you'd be showing your age.

I'll tell you what, though. I think this Butterbean could knock out Mike Tyson in Tyson's prime but I don't think Butterbean could knock out Ali. Butterbean is a big fighter and we all know what happened to Big George in the Rumble in the Jungle. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rumble_in_the_Jungle

I don't think Butterbean could survive a mercilessly Ali-inflicted rope-a-dope. I'd be interested in hearing from someone who thinks otherwise.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Somebody told me Butterbean is a pipe smoker.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Middle Earth

I saw a few of his fights back in the day and have watched a lot on YouTube
He was a heavy man who was surprisingly nimble and a heavy puncher
Faced some names, but was more of an exhibition boxer
Did MMA as well, but mostly a striker

Chef Benny
Codger in Training

Good ol ButterBean..
He was always in TV commercials back in the day for the Boardwalk 24 Hour Buffet here in Las Vegas. Love the Dude!
~ Tobacco is part of a complete breakfast.
ncrobb
Founding Member

Yeah, I caught a couple of his fights in his hey day as well. A good friend of mine has an old 70s vintage faded yellow Volvo she calls Butterbean.
“I’d like to ride the rodeo, but I got Brahma Fear.” - Jimmy Buffett
Wildcat
Codger in Training

Loved watching him box, always a good show.
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom
Jlando19

He was characterized on "Punch Out!!"

"Punch-Out!! is a Japanese video game series of boxing created by Nintendo's general manager Genyo Takeda, and his partner Makoto Wada. It started in arcades simply as Punch-Out!!, which was followed by a sequel Super Punch-Out!!."- wiki

I mean Butterbean looks like he could eat a couple of kids. In that one interview when Tyson said he wanted to eat Lewis' children. I believed him.

I think Tyson in his prime would have taken Esch any day.

"Good enough" is a false idol. Beware those that preach its virtue.
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Jlando19 wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:10 pm He was characterized on "Punch Out!!"

"Punch-Out!! is a Japanese video game series of boxing created by Nintendo's general manager Genyo Takeda, and his partner Makoto Wada. It started in arcades simply as Punch-Out!!, which was followed by a sequel Super Punch-Out!!."- wiki

I mean Butterbean looks like he could eat a couple of kids. In that one interview when Tyson said he wanted to eat Lewis' children. I believed him.

I think Tyson in his prime would have taken Esch any day.

I don't think Tyson could do it in four rounds, which seems to have been Mr. Bean's limit. Tyson would have to wear Butterbean down before he had weaknesses to take advantage.

When I watch old footage of Butterbean fights, I'm struck that he always seems to be fighting fat guys. Then it occurred to me. I have a BMI of 22 and I was just measured at 16% body fat. If it was a matchup between me and Butterbean, I'd be down after one of his punches, two if he only nicked me the first time. I don't have the raw muscular power that Butterbean does. If I punched Butterbean in his prime with all my strength, I probably would have broken every bone in my hand. I'm man enough to admit that Butterbean is the better athlete. From what little I've learned so far about him, he's phenomal. He seems like honest folks, all things considered.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.