Is this Carl Malden?

Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

[media]http://neworleansathleticclub.com/fitness/swimming/[/media]

My grandfather always called Carl Malden "Old Rubberface" when he popped up in an American Express commercial so I've never been his biggest fan.

Sure, he was good in On the Waterfront, and I have swum in the pool his character swims in, in Streetcar Named Desire, http://neworleansathleticclub.com/fitness/swimming/. Like Carl Malden in that movie, my stomach was strong from joining the New Orleans Athletic Club. I had to give up my gym membership last year but it was the only gym that I looked forward to going to. Now I do my Charles Atlas exercises----it turns out they are more effective at making me look like a statue than lounging around in the steam room. But, enough about me.

Carl Malden was an excellent foil for George C. Scott in Patton.

I thought Carl Malden was dead by the time Star Trek Voyager was filmed but, I'm telling you, this guy is a dead ringer for Carl Malden. It's got to be him. Is this the real Carl Malden or a doppelgänger? Don't ask which one. If you know who Carl Malden is, you'll know who I'm talking about.

Did Carl Malden smoke a pipe? I've never heard tell of it.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Wildcat
Codger in Training

I looked and looked for Old Rubberface and alas, I didn't find him. Perhaps he's at the bottom of the pool? Perhaps bits of him are on the bottom of every pool, having been done in by a tough street gang from San Francisco.

The good news is, I did spot Claude Rains.
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Wildcat wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:57 pm I looked and looked for Old Rubberface and alas, I didn't find him. Perhaps he's at the bottom of the pool? Perhaps bits of him are on the bottom of every pool, having been done in by a tough street gang from San Francisco.

The good news is, I did spot Claude Rains.
Oh, I see what I did. I didn't change the cut-and-paste hypertext markup language in the link. Sorry. This is becoming a lovable foible of mine.

Here.

Is this Carl Malden?

I think it is but he must be dead. Even when he was young he looked old, though, so I don't know. He had a lived-in face. Maybe he still does.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Lostdog5152
Member in Good Standing

Carl Malden died in 2009 at the age of 97. His last Screen credit is for an appearance on The West Wing in 2000. No mention of him ever smoking a pipe, but there is a publicity photo of him smoking a cigar in the 1950's.
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Who is Carl Malden?
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Puff nstuff

As a kid, I thought Karl Malden was a credible hard boiled detective in The Streets of San Francisco.
But that nose!
Because sometimes the body just wants canned fish. 🦪
Wildcat
Codger in Training

Kevin Keith wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:17 am Who is Carl Malden?
What is Carl Malden?
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Wildcat wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:41 pm
Kevin Keith wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:17 am Who is Carl Malden?
What is Carl Malden?
That's a question best answered by this pipe smoking old sea captain:

A lot of his old girl friends called Carl Malden, "Silly Putty." He had the face for it.

He had a rubber face. He was a good guy, though, from what I've heard on the street.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.