Bird watching

Lostdog5152
Member in Good Standing

No bird feeders yet. I'm surrounded by acres of deep woods so no shortage of birds. Our yard shade trees seem to be especially attractive to them. There is some kind of war going on between the squirrels and the birds. I get a kick out of watching a squirrel doing his best broken field running with some irate birds dive bombing the would be egg thief. Crows get a bad reception too. Hawks and pissed off birds give an interesting air combat show sometimes. Never saw a bird get hurt. The hawk always seems anxious to get his feathers back in the hanger.
Lostdog5152
Member in Good Standing

Forgot to mention the Mockingbirds. My favorite visitors every year. Its a pleasure to relax in our back yard and listen to the many voices they have memorized. My hearing is not so good anymore. Its a shame, but I can still hear them if they are close enough. Whip-poor-wills at night. They call them Rain Crows around here for some reason. Now and then an owl will chip in his two cents on clear dark nights. Lonesome sound that is. I never thought about it much but I guess I like birds. Sure would miss them if they were gone.
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Night herons nest in the live oaks that line our street a block up from our block, which I'm fine with since everyone who has to park on that block has constant car cleaning issues. I always tell people to find the white spots on the road and look up from there----that's where the nests are.

They are big birds, maybe a foot and half or more tall. They come to those trees every year to hatch the next generation, a few of which inevitably land in the street for their first flight and break their necks.

We have birds nest behind our bathroom shutters every year so I can watch the hatchlings progress every morning after I shave.

We also have birds nesting in our attic which doesn't bother me but it drives Mrs. B. to distraction. She vows to have the eaves repaired next year. It makes no never mind to me.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
arturo7
Member in Good Standing

The birds I like to watch don't hang out in trees.
ever forward
Lostdog5152
Member in Good Standing

arturo7 wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:26 pm The birds I like to watch don't hang out in trees.
Ostriches?
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Lostdog5152 wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:12 pm
arturo7 wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:26 pm The birds I like to watch don't hang out in trees.
Ostriches?
Penguins maybe?
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Dr Uhaha
Member in Very Good Standing

Lostdog5152
Member in Good Standing

Dr Uhaha wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:33 am Image
Not a rare bird at all. Boodicus Giganticus is common in all climates. Struts around in public places but is almost unapproachable by a bird watcher. Constantly in the mating pose but rejects most advances from the male of the species.
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Lostdog5152 wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:27 am
Not a rare bird at all. Boodicus Giganticus is common in all climates. Struts around in public places but is almost unapproachable by a bird watcher. Constantly in the mating pose but rejects most advances from the male of the species.
:lol:
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
arturo7
Member in Good Standing

Lostdog5152 wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:27 am
Unapproachable to all but the not-so-common-but-usually-obnoxious Cashes Galorous.
ever forward