The Bourbon Trail

Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Thought I'd share a few pictures of a trip up through Kentucky on the bourbon trail.
First stop was in Bowling Green, for no other purpose than it seemed like a nice place, and I seemed to remember there being a tobacco shop downtown.

Stopped at the Confederate capitol building on a walk up the hill towards Western Kentucky University.

There were messages in the bricks to fallen loved ones. I found this one particularly moving.

We headed up to Bardstown.. the Bourbon capital.. In the middle of town was a roundabout, and in the center of the roundabout was a compass rose with all the distilleries set in the various directions from that point.

We drove by Barton. (1792, Very Old Barton)
One of the barrel storehouses:
This post by Houtenziel liked by (total 5):
Dr UhahaPuff nstuffWildcatFr_TomRonv69
Don't bandy words with fools, don't be a sucker... Or you just might find 'em up your ass like a New Jersey Trucker.
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

And then by Heaven Hill. (Cabin Still, Elijah Craig, Evan Williams, Fighting Cock, Henry McKenna)

One really cool storehouse with windows so you can see the barrels. It really smelled like heaven out there..

We stopped Jim Beam and Wild Turkey..but I somehow lost the pictures, so lastly in Lexington we stopped by James E. Pepper. That was one cool ass distillery complex. Bars and restaurants everywhere.

Got a little haul back to Oregon of stuff we can't get. Old Pepper Single Barrel, Belle Meade XO, Old Bardstown, and a Very Old Barton 86 proof we can't get here in Oregon. The Belle Meade XO and Old Pepper are fantastic.

Overall, pretty cool part of the country. Good people everywhere, and some of the greenest landscapes I have ever seen.
This post by Houtenziel liked by (total 3):
Dr UhahaRuffinogoldPuff nstuff
Don't bandy words with fools, don't be a sucker... Or you just might find 'em up your ass like a New Jersey Trucker.
Silver

Looks like great time! Belle Meade is one of my faves.
This post by Silver liked by (total 2):
HoutenzielRuffinogold
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Silver wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:44 pm Looks like great time! Belle Meade is one of my faves.
Ya know.. I drove through Kentucky and was thinking I'd find some bottle that would blow my mind. It's funny that it actually ended up happening not in Kentucky, but in Nashville with the Belle Meade XO, Reserve, and standard Bourbons. I don't know what they are doing down there, but they are doing it right :)
This post by Houtenziel liked by (total 2):
RuffinogoldDr Uhaha
Puff nstuff

Thanks for the wonderful travelogue, @Houtenziel ! I'd love to make that trip one of these days! Big Heaven Hill fan myself; ever had Mellow Corn? For the life of me I don't know how they can produce and sell such a tasty, easy BiB sipper at such a low price point!
Big Iron

Thanks for sharing @Houtenziel that looks like a great trip. I've always wanted to go hit the bourbon trail as well. Hope you had some wonderful smokes and glasses of bourbon along the way
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Puff nstuff wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:02 am Thanks for the wonderful travelogue, @Houtenziel ! I'd love to make that trip one of these days! Big Heaven Hill fan myself; ever had Mellow Corn? For the life of me I don't know how they can produce and sell such a tasty, easy BiB sipper at such a low price point!
I did have it! That is one of a few of the lesser known Heaven Hill products we can get here. It is good stuff. There is another one we had that apparently can be hard to get outside of Kentucky, which you should try if you can - Heaven Hill Green Label.

Another low cost, high value bottle that we discovered at Jim Beam is "Old Tub". If it's available in your state, give it a go. It's amazing how good it is for a cheap bottle, and it's supposedly the original mash bill from when they first got started.
Big Iron wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:16 am Thanks for sharing @Houtenziel that looks like a great trip. I've always wanted to go hit the bourbon trail as well. Hope you had some wonderful smokes and glasses of bourbon along the way
I had less bourbon than I wanted to, given that most of the distilleries are open from 10-5, and I was doing the driving from place to place. I did however have a lot of Distillery Only tastes, and a number of things that are Kentucky only, or very rarely out of state.
What I discovered that is really weird.. there are a lot of things commonly available outside of Kentucky that they have a hard time getting - Eagle Rare, Buffalo Trace, 1792.. I went to a number of liquor stores to check out the selection, one even in Bardstown, and all those were absent. They did however have things like Weller Pot Still, Old Forester Birthday Bourbon, Blood Oath, Blanton's Single Barrel(my favorite bourbon ever) sitting there right on the shelf.

I ended up taking home Old Pepper, Old Bardstown, Barrel House Distilling Single Barrel, Very Old Barton 86 proof, and Belle Meade XO(which is an excellent Tennessee Bourbon aged in Cognac barrels).
This post by Houtenziel liked by (total 2):
Puff nstuffBig Iron
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Figured I'd throw a couple more pics up here.. These are random, but if you've never been to KY or TN, it might be of interest.

Discovered how beautiful Tennessee is. This is right on the edge of Nashville, Two Rivers Lake.

Another down a road in Tennessee.. I forget where. I swear Tennessee is just solid trees. Oregon is greenish, Dublin Ireland was pretty green too.. Tennessee is GREEN.

Downtown Bowling Green. Cool little town.

Driving through Bardstown, KY. Another cool old town.
This post by Houtenziel liked by (total 3):
WildcatPuff nstuffRonv69
rlucas

@Houtenziel you were only a few miles from my house. We were on a trip of our own at this time or you could've stopped in for a drink and a bowl. If you came up the Martha Lane Collins expressway you were less than 10 miles away. I could've given you directions to Schwabs tobacco in Lexington.
This post by rlucas liked by (total 2):
Ronv69Puff nstuff
"A gun that's unloaded and cocked ain't good for nothing.". Rooster J. Cogburn
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

nothing like the south . i couldnt imagine being anywhere else in the usa . ive seen alot of it and its pretty weak in comparison , imho

Heaven Hill happens to be my favorite . I consume mostly their products . Theres two states that carry their Virgin bourbon 101 , a charcoal filtered bourbon that is probably the best deal there is . its better than evan williams , which might be the second best deal . I get it in Murphy NC and its very very popular there and they always have it in stock

Nice pictures , @Houtenziel ... you should get further east in TN .. the mountains here are really excellent
This post by Ruffinogold liked by (total 2):
rlucasPuff nstuff
" Ya don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows " 13th apostle