One of us

mrpipster
Solid Citizen

"Fear is the Mother of Morality." Friedrich Nietzsche
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Indeed! Good catch, Pip. I don't have time to read this now so I hope people comment on it and share their JimInks stories to keep this thread on page one. I don't want to forget to read this.

I don't think JimInks is dead. I think I just haven't heard tell of him in awhile and it would be nice to learn what he is up to and any warm reminiscences anyone would like to share. I doubt anyone has a bad word to say about the guy. He's a solid citizen. He knows more about comic books than any of us. He knows a lot about pipe tobacco, too.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
mrpipster
Solid Citizen

I was going to send him a comic to sign at one point but somehow that fell by the wayside. That was a few years ago also.
"Fear is the Mother of Morality." Friedrich Nietzsche
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Citizen B wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:41 pm I don't think JimInks is dead.
Nah, he posts all the time over on pipesmagazine forum. He posted 52 minutes ago actually :D
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Houtenziel wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 4:02 pm
Nah, he posts all the time over on pipesmagazine forum. He posted 52 minutes ago actually :D
I'm glad he's still alive but I never go over there. I can only read so much pipe-smoking talk on any given day.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Citizen B wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 4:14 pm
I'm glad he's still alive but I never go over there. I can only read so much pipe-smoking talk on any given day.
There is no need. They make even less sense over there than we do, and that is saying somethin. It's like the pipe thunderdome.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Wildcat
Codger in Training

Houtenziel wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 4:16 pm

There is no need. They make even less sense over there than we do, and that is saying somethin. It's like the pipe thunderdome.
Pipes magazine was my first foray into a pipe forum. It was okay at first, then guys started getting into trouble about improper capitalization in thread titles and other picayune nonsense. Then it got really tiring being told I was smoking the wrong pipes and the wrong tobacco. I asked one such boorish snob authority (my curiosity peaked due to his vast sum of knowledge) how long he'd been smoking and how often. Turns out he'd been smoking for going on a year and he had at least one bowl a week and sometimes up to two!

The good news about being on pipes magazine, I met Ed James who introduced me to DGCF where I spent a great deal of time for years and met many friends who invited me to the original PSF.

As for JimInks, we had many a fine conversation via PMs on several sites. He works a lot with TwoMorrows Publishing and he's a real knowledgeable and friendly guy. He gave me his number and invited me to call him. I got stage fright and never did. Shame on me.
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Wildcat wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 4:43 pm

Pipes magazine was my first foray into a pipe forum. It was okay at first, then guys started getting into trouble about improper capitalization in thread titles and other picayune nonsense. Then it got really tiring being told I was smoking the wrong pipes and the wrong tobacco. I asked one such boorish snob authority (my curiosity peaked due to his vast sum of knowledge) how long he'd been smoking and how often. Turns out he'd been smoking for going on a year and he had at least one bowl a week and sometimes up to two!

The good news about being on pipes magazine, I met Ed James who introduced me to DGCF where I spent a great deal of time for years and met many friends who invited me to the original PSF.

As for JimInks, we had many a fine conversation via PMs on several sites. He works a lot with TwoMorrows Publishing and he's a real knowledgeable and friendly guy. He gave me his number and invited me to call him. I got stage fright and never did. Shame on me.
Not to go way too off topic.. but my favorite thing about that place is the insistence that rinsing your pipe out with water after a smoke is the best way to clean it. Not wanting to be close-minded, I gave it a go for a spell to see what would happen. Turns out it doesn't work at all, makes cake gummy, and will cause the fills to rapidly discolor and pop out. And yet, even being presented with evidence that it didn't work, they are still pushing it as the holy grail. Dude should have got himself a brylon and then he could skip handwashing and gone straight to the dishwasher :lol:
― Theodore Roosevelt
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

JimInks and I never crossed paths directly, as far as I can remember. We knew each other, of course, but we never got into any extended conversation about anything or hatched any schemes. Our areas of expertise never overlapped, so we comment on each other's post here and there but we never really got into any mischief.

JimInks is serious about what he does. When I buy a tin of tobacco I smoke it and I don't give it much more thought than that. Puff-puff-puff. My interests lie more in picayune nonsense, which JimInks tends to eschew. JimInks is a historian. I have read a few of his articles in Alter Ego and Back Issue magazines. JimInks knows what he is talking about.

To this day I have a yearning to buy some Edward G. Robinson, which you know I would love for the wine topping, all because of JimInks and his rhapsodic reviews. Nobody has moved more EGR than JimInks.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
sisyphus
Person of Interest

the ar15.com of pipesmoking? lol
There are a couple of quality chaps over there but it's always been chock full of newbies and the site owner is ridiculously quick to ban people for petty infractions
I hope our names are touching on the watch list