E Readers

MikeDennison
Certified Codger

pipedrum22 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:27 pm I have a kindle paperwhite that I never ever use. I’d be willing to trade it for pipe smoking related paraphernalia 😂
This is an offer someone needs to take you up on. :thumbs:
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Piping Abe wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:10 pm I really wish I had time to read. Theres so much good books out there, but I really don’t have time. I prefer real books too. And I have 2 boxes of unread books waiting for me one day. I wish I read more when I had the time. Maybe I should make more of an effort. My in-between time usually goes to my favorite youtube channels.
Yeah, you should lay off the YouTube for a while considering one of the tobaccos you smoked recently tasted like "burnt yarn ends" lol
The Troll Whisperer
Tsal
Forum Decorum

I like regular books, period.
The Troll Whisperer
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

Tsal wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:57 am
Piping Abe wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:10 pm I really wish I had time to read. Theres so much good books out there, but I really don’t have time. I prefer real books too. And I have 2 boxes of unread books waiting for me one day. I wish I read more when I had the time. Maybe I should make more of an effort. My in-between time usually goes to my favorite youtube channels.
Yeah, you should lay off the YouTube for a while considering one of the tobaccos you smoked recently tasted like "burnt yarn ends" lol
:lol: I’m glad someone picked up on that. Stewed Fruit sounds a lot better
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Piping Abe wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:49 am
Tsal wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:57 am
:lol: I’m glad someone picked up on that. Stewed Fruit sounds a lot better
A little overboard with that stuff. Your making me nervous. :lol:
The Troll Whisperer
Ronv69
Founding Member

Ruffinogold wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:01 pm
Ronv69 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:53 pm
Ruffinogold wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:15 pm

Yes , Jennifer had showed that to me and its tempting . I have a comic site I go to and its awesome

The other site I read , if youre into this type stuff is ..

https://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/roman/home.html .... theres about 3 libraries in that link . Its astounding and Ive been reading through it for years

I miss holding a book and the smell of the pages .. feeling the damn thing and having it on a bookcase with a book mark where you left off . My " spot " in the living room in the corner with a book case of my favorites all around stuff . I have 10 boxes in the barn . Nobody wants old books . I never would have seen that coming
I have almost a hundred feet of bookshelf total and I still have books I don't have room for. I thought I would read when I got old but I have a hard time seeing the words without a magnifier, plus too many distractions.
Yes ... Read in your youth while you can .. is the take away I get .
I read a thousand books in the year I was 11 and I read about 2 dozen a year until I was about 35. I still go through about 20 audio books a year. I have 810 books on Audible.
God and Texas!
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

I know I am going to veer way off topic. Apologies in advance, Pip.

I find everyone's "reading" preferences interesting. I spend most of my day reading physically printed material. I start my day with a 10-15 minute read of the Times-Picayune that gets delivered to my doorstep along with the Wall Street Journal. I usually hear it when the paperboy tosses it onto the porch.

I spend 2-3 hours a day reading the Wall Street Journal, being constantly interrupted. I am in the middle of the editorial page as I write this, in fact.

Then, I read magazines while I am having a snack in the kitchen.

In my spare time I read all sorts of books. I mostly just peck at them. I have been working my way through a history of the Middles Ages most of this year, but I have read other books and finished them in the meantime. They are all non-fiction.

I enjoy the physicality of reading. If it is only available in an ebook, I figure it is not worth reading. As someone who's writing career has mostly involved work published ephemerally in the ether, I know I contradict myself.

I do not stream anything either.

My average daily usage on my iPhone is 7 minutes. It doesn't count the time that I am listening to podcasts, apparently. That would add an hour and a half since I walk the dog three times a day.

I listened to an audiobook once. It was not the same. I constantly go back and cross-reference what came before so all the rewind/fast-forward is not worth it when I can just glance up a few paragraphs, or turn a page back, find what I am looking for, and then go instantly back to where I was.

I am an antiquarian.

I am brooding about reading the newspaper today so this thread dovetailed into that, when I found it.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Middle Earth

I Heart my PaperWhite
Much better than having books as a general matter
Like @Ronv69 I had 100 plus plus plus linear feet of books
I am a history buff so if a book is not graphic dependent the PaperWhite is excellent for me
If you are traveling t is an incredible piece of kit
Further, it is not harmful to the eyes
Now my Tolkien book collection is excepted from the above
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

I can't do audio books. They put me to sleep. And in the middle of the day when I'd have a chance to listen, I usually have machines running that would hinder the whole thing.
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Ronv69
Founding Member

The Kindle can hold hundreds of books that might not find room in a small home. They are convenient for airplanes and jury duty too. If audio books put me to sleep that's better than staring at the ceiling at 3am. I like to listen to them on long drives. It really makes the time fly. I used to have a job where I spent most of my time reading. I had a subscription to Analog magazine and I would read about one a week. After that job ended I had a hundred issues that I was going to read in my spare time. Haven't picked one up in 40 years.
God and Texas!