Real Cars

Ruffinogold
The Mayor

My favorite car I had years ago was a 1974 AMC Matador . I called it my Ride and Glide . I call any comfortable car my ride and glide , if I happen to have one , but it was the first one . That was back in my Three Nuns / MB Scottish / Amphora Brown days

" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Ronv69
Founding Member

HSigurdsson wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 2:50 pm Speaking of real cars, I believe their days are numbered.
All my friends are car guys...and gals.
We have been buying, building, racing, mudding...vehicles since the mid 1980s.
Twenty years ago it was pretty eady to find junk yard parts for your build. Things like quarter panels for a 1969 Chevelle were a dime a dozen. Now your best bet is to pay 5x more for a repop.
Try finding a pre 1970 Ford 9 inch rear-end right now. They used to be $30 at the junk yard. Now they are $700 from the showroom AT the junkyard. They know what they have. :)
I recently sold my 1971 Roadrunner with the original 440 Scat Pac Magnum motor and Hearst 4 speed. I built it from a junker.
Before that I sold my 1966 Plymouth Belvedere with a replaced 426 Wedge Hemi. The car originally came with the Wedge but it was trashed. Today that engine is worth upwards of $50,000 in rebuilt condition....I paid $3500 for the blown motor in the early 90s and rebuilt it.
Im currently looking for my next project.
An AMC Javelin isnt out of the question but looking for a pre 70s Pontiac Tempest or GTO...GOAT or Judge.
Right now I just have my 2017 Silverado 2500 diesel and my 2014 BMW M4 twin turbo.
What is a 426 wedge hemi? I had a 413 wedge and a 426 hemi. Ford made a 429 "Twisted Hemi"
God and Texas!
Ronv69
Founding Member

I had a friend with a Gremlin, and we didn't think it was a bad car. Pacers had too much glass for Texas, don't know much about them. AMX was a sweet ride with the 390. I drove one with a supercharged 400 that was insanely fast.
God and Texas!
Ronv69
Founding Member

My first car was a 65 Rambler Classic. 199ci six, 3 on the tree, super comfortable seats and the airconditioner would freeze you in July. 29 miles per gallon. My uncle had it in and he died just as I needed a car. It was at least as good as the similarly priced cars of the era.
God and Texas!
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Ronv69 wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 4:35 pm I had a friend with a Gremlin, and we didn't think it was a bad car. Pacers had too much glass for Texas, don't know much about them. AMX was a sweet ride with the 390. I drove one with a supercharged 400 that was insanely fast.
AMX were hot shit in my book !!
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

My dad had an AMC Eagle station wagon when I was a teenager, and that was one nice car.
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Ronv69 wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 4:39 pm My first car was a 65 Rambler Classic. 199ci six, 3 on the tree, super comfortable seats and the airconditioner would freeze you in July. 29 miles per gallon. My uncle had it in and he died just as I needed a car. It was at least as good as the similarly priced cars of the era.
We had two three on a tree Rams.. I learned to drive in one and a huge Galaxie 500 with a 428 V8. I could fit ten of my friends in that car. Lol
The Troll Whisperer
Ronv69
Founding Member

I learned to drive in an Olds 98. Took the test in a 66 Olds Starfire. Too long to fit between the parking cones. The first standard I drove was an Air Force surplus one ton Chevy with the granny gear. I've driven lots of standards since,from old bugs to my nephews Z06 Vette.
When we wanted to take a bunch of guys in one vehicle, we used my buddies VW Bus.
God and Texas!
ncrobb
Founding Member

I learned to drive first on a farm tractor, I guess I was maybe 8. The first “automobile”, if you could call it that, was a Ford C600 cabover grain truck holding steady in a wheat field along side of my Dad while he pulled an old POJ tag along combine. I had a wreck when I was 10 driving a Dodge farm truck home during a rain storm. Ran into the chute of the New Holland hay bailer my Dad was pulling. Peeled the driver’s fender back like a soup can. He jumped off the tractor and asked what happened. My foot was wet, slipped off the brake and hit the gas. I could barely reach the pedals. He said it wasn’t a big deal as long as I was ok, we had hay to get up. He never said another word about it. First car was a 1973 Road Runner, 440, 727, 3.55.

And I’ve had a motorcycle (street bike, at least one) since I was 17. That was the maddest my Dad ever was at me. I bought a 1972 Yamaha XS650. I honestly thought he was gonna throw me out. I stayed at my grandma’s house for a couple days until he cooled down. It was just on the other side of the farm.

Back on track to the original post: my Dad has a Gremlin X and an AMC Hornet. A buddy of mine had a Pacer. We called it the “Bubble Gum Machine”.
“I’d like to ride the rodeo, but I got Brahma Fear.” - Jimmy Buffett
HSigurdsson

Ronv69 wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 4:32 pm
HSigurdsson wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 2:50 pm Speaking of real cars, I believe their days are numbered.
All my friends are car guys...and gals.
We have been buying, building, racing, mudding...vehicles since the mid 1980s.
Twenty years ago it was pretty eady to find junk yard parts for your build. Things like quarter panels for a 1969 Chevelle were a dime a dozen. Now your best bet is to pay 5x more for a repop.
Try finding a pre 1970 Ford 9 inch rear-end right now. They used to be $30 at the junk yard. Now they are $700 from the showroom AT the junkyard. They know what they have. :)
I recently sold my 1971 Roadrunner with the original 440 Scat Pac Magnum motor and Hearst 4 speed. I built it from a junker.
Before that I sold my 1966 Plymouth Belvedere with a replaced 426 Wedge Hemi. The car originally came with the Wedge but it was trashed. Today that engine is worth upwards of $50,000 in rebuilt condition....I paid $3500 for the blown motor in the early 90s and rebuilt it.
Im currently looking for my next project.
An AMC Javelin isnt out of the question but looking for a pre 70s Pontiac Tempest or GTO...GOAT or Judge.
Right now I just have my 2017 Silverado 2500 diesel and my 2014 BMW M4 twin turbo.
What is a 426 wedge hemi? I had a 413 wedge and a 426 hemi. Ford made a 429 "Twisted Hemi"
Nope, I misspoke.
The car came with a wedge and I changed to a hemi. The car was originally a "special order" for a Chrysler executive. I kinda wish I rebuilt the original motor but it was trashed. If we tried repairing it it wouldn't have been close to original. So I got a less junked hemi.